-1.6 breakup bonding and karate

chapter sixteen!

"MIGUEL?" asked Alex as she rubbed her eyes. She was still in her pajamas and her makeup was smudged from where she hadn't bothered to take it off the night before. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying, her hair a mess from tossing and turning. Noah had offered to drive her home, but that would've been extremely awkward so she told him she'd catch a bus. That's what her bus pass (that she'd never used before in her life,) was for, anyways. "What are you doing here? It's like two o'clock in the morning."

Miguel gave her a weird look, looking down at his watch then back up at her. "It's eleven a.m.?"

"Oh."

"Aisha, Demetri, Casey, Hawk, and I all tried to text you. Probably Sam, too. Speaking of which, me and her broke up last night," he frowned, making Alex blink in surprise. The thought of her and Miguel both getting dumped on the same day made her want to slam her head into a wall until she passed out. "I just thought you should know, but are you, um, okay? You always text back, like always, and quite frankly— you don't look too good."

"Let's just say we're both single now," she groaned, walking back into her house. She left the door open, so Miguel assumed that it was okay for him to run on in. Xolani was sitting on the couch watching Family Feud, but looked up when she saw Miguel.

"Oh, thank God," sighed the woman. "Miguel, fix my daughter please? Whenever I speak to her she just rants about how Noah "had no right to assume her feelings" then proceeds to slam the door and cry in Spanish."

Miguel gave the woman a wide-eyed glance before following Alex to where she had ran into the kitchen. He'd met Xonlani quite a few times, and she often seemed to remember him. He could never in his dreams forget her, though, because she is quite the character. Alex was sitting at her table with a box of Frosted Flakes cereal in arm. Stuffing her face, she turned to Miguel and gave him a grin. "So, break-up buddy, what happened between you and Sam? Or do I wanna know?"

"Break-up buddies, huh? Well, she wasn't answering my texts or calls so I started stress drinking," he started, making Alex let out a noise of disapproval. "I know, I know. But she showed up to the party later on with some random guy and I was drunk and I got mad and I tried to start a fight. Sam got in the middle and accidentally got hit in the process."

"Damn," she muttered, then offered the box of cereal to Miguel. The boy chuckled dryly, but took some nonetheless.

"You're not mad?" he asked through a mouthful. "I thought you'd be upset that I started a fight."

"I'm too upset to be upset," she told him, making him nod in understanding. Alex took this moment to think about what Noah said. Did she like Miguel? Looking at him right now, she still couldn't tell. She wanted desperately to say no, just to prove Noah wrong, but she couldn't.

"What about you and Noah. I thought you were going on a romantic date down at Santa Barbara?" he asked as he grabbed another handful of the food. He watched as her expression dropped, the color draining from her face.

"Yeah, well it just didn't work out like that," she answered vaguely, making him frown. "You see, this is why I didn't want to get into a relationship. It's just too much trouble."

"Amen to that," nodded the boy. He looked down at his watch again, standing up abruptly. "I've got to go, actually. The tournament is today and I want to be there early."