-2.8 hospital, amanda, and prison visits

chapter twenty-eight!

DOUBLE PNEUMONIA. That's what Xolani had, according to the doctors. They put her in the ICU, meaning only Alex was allowed back to see her. Miguel wasn't able to get in, even though he did have some food, a few outfits, and a phone changer for Alex to have if she planned on staying all night. His mother had drove him after Miguel explained everything to her. Carmen was very fond of Alex, as was Miguel's grandmother. Due to the fact that Carmen worked at the hospital, but was off-duty, she was able to give the stuff that Miguel had collected to one of her coworkers to give to Alex.

For Alex, the ride to the hospital was one of the most painful experiences of her life. The look of absolute fear on the paramedics face when Alex told her that Xolani has Alzheimer's made Alex's stomach drop and an unshakable feeling appear in her gut.

She had to put her phone on silent, seeing as how texts and phone calls came flooding in from her friends. She wasn't sure if someone had informed them of what was going on or if they saw her location being at the hospital. Her friends figured that with a karate-armed Mya being on the loose, that having the Life360 tracking app for Alex was a good idea.

Alex, however, simply wasn't in the mood to answer any text messages or calls and just ignored them for the moment. She sat in the chair by her mother's bed, her knees pulled to her chest and her head resting on top of them. Xolani had fallen asleep not long after she'd gotten to the hospital, leaving Alex to simply just sit and wait.

After getting the stuff sent by Miguel, Alex changed into more causal clothes— a pair of red jogging shorts and a plain white crop top. Out of the three outfits that Miguel had backed in the bag, this was the least official one she could find. She was saving the others for her shifts at the work the next day. From the food that he had packed (two apples, a banana, a box of granola bars, rice krispie treats, saltine crackers, some bottles of water and cans of soda, and a pack of her favorite candy) she only ate an apple and drank a bottle of water. Her appetite wasn't too strong after watching her mother cough up blood and get sent to the ICU.

She didn't get any sleep that night. She stayed awake the entire time, sitting by her mothers side. She called Miguel, informed him of what was going on and told him he could go home. She knew she should've at least tried to get some sleep, especially because she had to be at work at 7:00am, and the dealership was a good fifty minutes away from the hospital, meaning she'd have to leave pretty early. She didn't really care, though; she was going to be awake and ready in case anything happened. She felt terrible enough as it was for letting it get this bad.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

Daniel and Amanda LaRusso knew something was wrong when Alex came into work the next morning. They'd listened to Sam voice her concern all morning about how Alex wasn't answering her phone and how her location showed her being at the hospital. That was enough to put the couple on alert, but when they saw Alex walk through the door of the dealership, they knew something was seriously wrong.

Alex wore her usual bright smile, only this time it was noticeably forced. She wasn't wearing any makeup— no mascara or eyeliner or anything, like she usually was. Her hair was messily pulled back into a bun. There was noticeable bags under her puffy eyes and her overall appearance said that she didn't get enough (if any) sleep. Even Seth began to worry.

"Alex, honey, is everything okay? You look a little stressed. Have you eaten anything today?" asked Amanda, placing a hand on the girls shoulder. Alex gave the woman a smile, resisting the urge to rub her tired eyes.