-1.9 oh, no

chapter nineteen!

"OH SHIT," cursed Alex, standing up and rushing to the kitchen. Turning back, for a brief second she saw her mother and Miguel looking back at her, "I, uh, I'll be right back. Just getting something to drink. You guys want anything?"

Xolani shook her head then turned back to the show, Miguel standing up to follow the girl into the kitchen. When he got there, Alex had a shot glass and a bottle of liquor. She seemed to be debating on whether to pour it in the glass or to drink it straight out of the bottle.

"Alex? What the hell...?" asked Miguel, walking around the kitchen table and beside of where his best friend was standing. Alex poured the shot, downing it quickly before pouring another. Miguel grabbed her hand, however, before she could drink this one. "What's going on? What was that letter about?"

"I don't know," she admitted, sliding the envelope across the counter to him. "I figured I shouldn't be sober when reading it."

Taking a look at where it was addressed from, he inhaled sharply, looking wide-eyed to Alex. The noirette herself had completely given up on the shot glass and was now downing as much as she could from the bottle. Miguel sighed, softly grabbing the bottle from her hands. Alex turned to him, tears welling in her eyes. "Why can't he just leave me alone?"

Miguel frowned, pulling her into a hug. "I don't know, Alex. Really, I don't. But I'm sorry."

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

Two hours and four game show episodes later, Miguel and Alex sat side by side on her bed— the envelope in hand. After her alcoholic spell in the kitchen, the two had decided to sit back down with Xolani until game show night was considered over. Then, the two were going to read the letter, together.

"I guess I should open it now," said Alex, after around seven minutes of the two sitting in silence. Her hands were trembling, barely being able to hold the envelope steady. She runs her index finger under the fold, tearing the paper only a bit. Taking the paper out, she unfolds it and paused briefly, then turned to Miguel. "Can you read it to me? I- I don't think I'll be able to do it."

"Yeah, of course," he said, taking the paper gently from her hands. "Um, "Dear, Ms. Alex Ramirez, we are writing to inform you that your father, Carl Deaser has passed all requirements to fill out transfer forms. He has requested to do so, and wishes to move to the Nevada State Psychiatric Facility. The move will be on June 14th, 2019. He has also wished to send two visit forms, both of which are also enclosed in the envelope. He wishes to see you soon; and our team believes it to be beneficial to the development of his condition.""

"His condition? Really?"

"That's what it says," Miguel tells her, reaching into the envelope and pulling out the forms mentioned in the letter. "Here's the forms it talked about."

Alex sighed, putting the papers into the drawer of her desk and flopping backwards on the bed with a huff. She hated this— every bit of it. Nevada was just a state over, which completely defeated the purpose of them moving across the country to get away from him. Miguel laid down beside her, turning his head to look at her sad face. "This sucks."

"Yeah," he agreed, although he knew he couldn't begin to imagine how hard this must be for the girl. Alex subconsciously rubbed the scars on her arm, pulling the hoodie sleeve down even further. "Are you going to be okay?"