48: True Love's Curse

*Anna's POV*

*July 22nd, 1986*

You know that saying 'it's a brand new day'? I've never understood that saying. There was nothing special about today or tomorrow. They hold the same events that played out yesterday. The only surprises I had were two choices throughout the day. I had two ways of waking up; a blaring alarm clock or the shouts of my parents down stairs, stomping around, slamming doors and shattering of items that I'd later have to watch my mother pick up as she cried. For breakfast I'd either grab something from the kitchen or have to pick something up on the way to school.

If I happened to make it early, I'd hang out in the courtyard with my friends that held the perfect view of the football team's practice and if I was late, I'd take my time to pass by Mr. Eve's Science room that was in the opposite direction of my classroom. I guess you could say those last two options were solely the reason I woke up anymore. It was for him. We shared third hour, Mrs. Ruth's math class and I sat directly behind him.

He had two other friends in that classroom and they'd always goof around. Passing notes, stealing and throwing stuff at each other when the teacher wasn't looking, making faces. My favorite expression of his was when he had that carefree grin on his face. An expression that immediately lit up a room and the hearts of the people in it. I would love for him to smile at me like that. I'd love to be the reason he looked so happy.

After school, me and my friends would hang out at that same courtyard and I'd just watch as him and his teammates practice for a solid two hours. My friends would head home early, leaving me to watch him in peace. I've always been relieved for summer vacation to end, ever since elementary school, second grade, when I first met him. During vacations I couldn't see him. Where he did have to practice during the summer, it wasn't at school.

They went to a training camp near by but not close enough for me to go watch. Besides, no outsiders aloud. That's why, the first day of school is my favorite. When I finally get to see him after so long, it makes my heart feel fuller. However, this was our last summer vacation. After this year, we'll be graduating and I doubt with talent like his, he'll be staying in a small town like ours.

He'll probably being heading for a bigger city with more opportunities. That's why before that, I need to do everything I can to get closer to him. I'm not a pretty blonde and my frizzy red hair has a habit of putting some people off but if I can get him to at least talk to me once, I'm sure I can get him to like me. There's no way he'd turn me away. After all, he's kind.

"They're really kicking butt, aren't they?!" A cheerful voice snapped my attention away from him on the field and straight to the person next to me. Leaning over my shoulder was a boy with fluffy, brown hair and bright, emerald green eyes. Turning to meet my gaze, our faces were merely inches apart. While I was trying to figure out who the boy was, his face reddened, making me lose my train of thought.

"Are you alright?" Quickly pulling himself from me, he stumbled slightly to stand up straight and grabbed the back of his neck while he pocketed his other hand.