33: Family Dinner Gets Heated: Part 4

~January 13th, 1986~

*Jane's POV*

The days that followed after that incident were not easy for the Woods Family. Liu was let off house arrest a few days after mine and Jeffery's last exchange and he was allowed to go back to school. Unfortunately, Jeffery had to go back to school as well. Although things were now completely different. Where we used to spend all of our time together, I now spent it with the other girls in our grade while he spent it alone.

The gossip was as bad as ever and it didn't seem like it was coming to an end anytime soon. When we weren't in class Jeffery would disappear from everyone's sight, going off on his own and that only made the kids talk more.

"Where do you think he runs off to during breaks?"

"Do you think he's threatening the kids from the elementary?"

"He has to be, he's too scrawny to win a fight here."

"I bet he'd lose to my little brother easy and he's in third grade!"

"Should someone warn a teacher though?"

The first day back was the worst, the kids were relentless. Even though it was Liu who injured Randy, Jeffery got the heat for it since they were brothers. Everyone was so quick to paint him as a criminal and the fact that his reputation wasn't so appealing before all of this only added fuel to the fire.

"I really don't get why you hung out with that guy, Jane." As we were listening to the near by gossip during lunch, Lilly was quick to toss in her opinions as usual. "He's a creep and God only knows what he does when no one's looking."

"Right? Plus he never looks anyone in the eye and never talks so it's hard to know what he's thinking!" Maya was once again quick to agree. I could see where they were coming from but it still didn't feel right to judge someone based on that. Although, I guess I was biased since I've actually spoken to him. Biting my tongue, I could only smile faintly as I nodded.

Every part of me felt that this was completely wrong. I should be eating lunch with Jeffery in the corner of the Library or around the back of the school building while he read a book and I talked, distracting him from focusing. We should be arguing right now about whether or not I knew the end of the story and making him panic that I was going to spoil something when I actually never read it.

I should be complaining to him about that night's homework while he rolls his eyes and tells me it's easy and it will be over quickly if I just do it. We should be planning our weekend out once again, deciding whether we would be going to the movies, getting food or the arcade.

"I'm so glad you got out of there before anything bad happened, Jane. Such a lucky girl!" I should be the one filling the air by his side and not here just watching everything get worse.

"Right..." Yet here I am, choosing to let that air remain.