32: Family Dinner Gets Heated; Part 3

~December 22nd, 1986~

*Jane's POV*

It wasn't until a little after that my mother finally came home. She locked herself in her room and my dad who left work strangely early was the one who ended up preparing dinner. We were a family of three but the house was unusually quiet. It would be around this time that my parents would be flirting out of their minds until I had goosebumps running down my arms and legs but not tonight. It was just quiet.

When dinner was ready my father lightly knocked on my door to let me know it was time. When I reached the kitchen I saw they were already seated and my mother refused to meet my gaze. Giving me a pitiful look, my father got up to pull my chair out for me before sitting back down in his own seat. I was uncomfortable. A woman like my mother who didn't know how to be quiet now didn't know what to say. I knew whatever she was about to say wasn't going to be good. I was terrified of the words that would come from her mouth next.

I was scared but impatient. I just wanted her to get it over with. Why go through this uncomfortable silence when you could get everything straight to the point like you usually do? Of course I knew that was a stupid question. She was sparing my feelings. She also knew whatever she was going to say to me was going to be something I didn't want to hear and that was a thought a mother didn't want to have to do to their own child.

I knew this and wanted to fight against whatever she had to say automatically, yet this rare behavior coming from her made me feel otherwise. As I stared at my dinner plate, I couldn't bare to pick up my fork in fear they'd see me shaking. Whether it was out of anger or sadness I couldn't figure out but I knew it would only upset them further.

"Mom, dad." Out of the corner of my eyes I could see them stop in their place before they slowly raised their eyes to me. Gathering my courage, I took a deep breath, preparing for the worst before I met their gaze. "I'm okay, so whatever it is you need to tell me, tell me."

I watched tears gather in my mothers eyes as she pulled her napkin to her face to dry the ones doing their best to run down her cheeks. My father patting her back as he looked down at his own lap. The emotions that all at once filtered the room made me want to cry myself and I had to pinch my leg as a last resort to stop myself from doing jus that.

"Jane, I'm so sorry, Jane." Between her sobs she apologized to me and all my father did was squeeze his eyes shut, unable to look at me. Clenching my teeth, I pinched myself harder, doing my best to be the bigger person, to hold myself together, to be an adult, but it wasn't until I felt the first streak down my face that I realized I'm not an adult, I'm just a child and I was scared.

"Mom, w-what happened? Why did they t-take Liu away? W-why was Mrs. Asher c-crying?" I couldn't stop it. The tears were coming out nonstop and my lips quivered with every word that stumbled out of them. I tried too hard to hold it together, to think of the positives but I couldn't. My friend was hurt and I didn't know a single thing. My parents are acting in a way that I wasn't used to and I knew that I was going to have to make a very difficult choice and I wasn't ready. "Why?"

Trying my best to wipe the tears away, my actions became useless. Every tear I wiped away was replaced with more and even that fact made my final defenses crumble. I don't know when it happened but my parents had stood from their seats and had their arms wrapped around me, attempting to comfort me which didn't help and I was so sorry for that.