29: Undying Emotions

Pitter-Patter-Pitter-Patter-Pitter-Patter...

       The sound of the rain lightly tapped against the glass of the window, the cold air from the outside seeping in through the cracks. It had been raining for over thirteen hours and it hadn't picked up or let off. It was eight in the morning, the time where the sun should be at it's peak by now, but it wasn't. At least no one knew if it was. The sky was covered in dark, brooding clouds and there wasn't even the smallest patch of sky to be seen. It was dark enough that the street light lamps were still on. Yet like any other day, everyone continued.

        People were getting up and ready for work and school. Very few even had an umbrella as they took a morning stroll outside. On the news some roads were blocked due to floods and so neighboring streets would have to be taken for some unfortunate souls who were already late for the day. However, for June, it wasn't like any other day. He was in the middle of a game with a beautiful man. A man who's mind was twisted around his own, easily confusing him alike.

         Any sense of morals or goals he'd been trying to achieve were being muddled by the man with venom like eyes, and what a bitter sweet venom it was. Day in and day out, for over a month June had been biding by this stranger's rules, not knowing who he was. He had a partner who would personally go and receive the orders from the man but his partner, West, told him it would be best if June didn't ever face him.

"You're an innocent kid, June. You're only here for a short amount of time, but let me tell you something." June Remembered the smell of cigarets and light whiskey that came from his partner's breath as he warned him. "The moment you lay eyes on that man, the moment you speak to him, is the moment any chance of your precious, normal life, is over."

        Why had June agreed to that day? He was given the choice but he chose to go. He could have turn down the invitation but his curiosity had gotten the better of him. Why had it gotten the better of him? It was by chance he heard that man's voice over the phone when talking to West. It was by chance he saw him when West was heading out for the store and June decided last minute to catch up with him. Even then he had only seen that man's back. So why did his voice get to him so much?

"June, this is for you, from him." West reached out and handed June an envelope with his name written in beautiful cursive on the front. The writing being so delicate that it shook June just a bit.

"What is this? And why is it for me? He never wants to speak with me." June was supposed to be curious as to why that man wants to talk to him more directly than usual but instead, he was more curious as to how a man who was so brutal could have such lovely penmanship and such a soft, luring voice. It wasn't that he wasn't scared of this man. In fact, he was terrified! However, a part of him had to wonder if this man was like a siren?

"Read it and you'll know." West seemed to know what this was about but whether it was good or bad didn't get through to June. So instead, June took his chances and opened the letter, his heart fluttering when he realized just how beautiful and clear the letters on the paper were.

'June,