42: Tracking The Lost

*Narrator's POV*

"I can't believe he's... that fast..." Trying to catch their breath, Jack and Ben ended up losing Jeffery in the long run. They were on his tail for a solid half an hour before he was finally able to ditch them.

"Well... Where'd he go...?" Ben coughed, his throat dry from how much air he had to inhale to keep up with his friend. Nodding, Jack glanced from side to side, scanning the area for a good minute before he finally answered Ben.

"I don't know..." The only sound the was heard as the two fell silent were the birds and the chilly wind that blew through the trees' branches. Taking a minute to think their situation through, Jack's thoughts were interrupted by the blond boy once more.

"So much for old fashioned hunting." He snickered, causing the eyeless man to shoot a glare his way. Sighing, Jack rubbed the back of his head, concerned.

"This is bad... We've never lost anymore before..."

"Oh come on, it's a kid. What's the worst that can happen?" Ben shrugged his shoulders before putting his hands behind his head. He was rather fine with not finding the smiling man but like Hell he'd say that out loud.

"If he's still in his transition stage... He's unstable... He could do a lot of damage..." Jack mumbled as he continued to look for any clues to where he could have went.

"A few bodies shouldn't be any problem, right?" Ben rolled his eyes at the obvious, but apparently was unaware of the other obvious thing.

"It's not the bodies we need to worry about... It's the attention we get if the wrong person finds him first..." This caused the blonde boy to shut his lips tight. If they were exposed, that would be a problem. Where some people would see a person with a scarred body, if he got the wrong person's attention, that would be an issue. They'd recognize the signs and history would repeat itself. Of course, Ben still wanted to avoid searching for him but he knew that wasn't an option.

"Do we need to get some help then? That kid was fast. Even if we do find him, the moment he sees us we'll be back to square one." The blonde boy suggested and Jack nodded in agreement.

"What about Dark Link-"

"So a surprise attack it is!" Ben clapped his hands together and started walking straight ahead.

"Where are you going..?" Jack questioned his companion, tilting his head slightly I curiosity.

"Well, we lost him, you can't track him, so I'm using my intuition and saying he went this way!" The blonde boy pointed ahead of him, not stopping to look at Jack.

The eyeless man went to question his method before he realized that they didn't really have another choice and if Jeffery got to civilization before they got to him, it could be bad. Getting help would only take longer. Maybe a two day journey? With his current speed, Jeffery could make it to civilization in that time. Sighing in defeat, Jack decided to take the unfavorable route and follow Ben and his intuition.