44: Too close to Fate

*You're POV*

*Present Time*

"To my surprise, I woke up. When I did, I was in an unfamiliar room, surrounded by unfamiliar people. Aside from the three I just told you about." Jeff sat back in his seat, staring at the table in front fo us. The entire time he hadn't met my gaze once. I didn't blame him though. He practically told me about himself at his weakest moments.

If I were in his situation, I wouldn't have told me at all. I would have kept it locked up, deep down, away from prying eyes. The thing is, we're the same when it comes to worrying about people pitying us. We don't want it and yet he risked it just to answer all of my questions. Just when I think I got him pinned down, he surprises me with something else.

"You were terrified of them, of everything. What changed?" His eyes wondered to the corner of the table before roaming back. My guess it was the biggest effort he could make to meeting my gaze.

"At first..." He hesitated. "I begged for them to let me go... I wouldn't calm down but after a few terrifying threats from Jack, I finally shut up and listened." Jeff chuckled, readjusting his crossed arms to be a firmer hold. "Turns out they didn't want to kill me, just didn't want me to get into too much trouble. After that, they explained what happened with my family... With Liu."

So that's how he learned what happened to his loved ones. He had to hear the truth from strangers who he was afraid of. He had to hear about the awful things he did and the fact that his older brother and ex best friend was trying to kill him for things he didn't even remember doing.

"What about Ben? Did you guys find out who attacked him and why?" Jeff shook his head.

"Not a clue. Some suspected that it was me but Jack was quick to defend me. Although his whole argument was practically that I may be fast but I'm a punk kid with no elegance." I couldn't help but chuckle at the excuse and Jeff cocked a brow at me. "You finding this fucking funny, Doll face?"

"N-not at all." I shook my head, trying to hide my laughter under my breath. It wasn't all that funny if we were being honest. However, it reminded me of when he was trying to get us out of my home when we were attacked. The entire time he was quick, his first instinct being survival but in no way, shape, or form was he gentle. I was covered in cuts and wounds and half of them were caused by his clumsy way of getting out of there. I guess Jack was pretty observant.

Then again, Jeff carried me inside once we arrived here and he also gave me his sweater when I was cold. Plus, he did end up saving my life, reckless or not. I guess that's a side I've only seen. The simple thought was only momentary but in a matter of seconds, I felt a fluttery feeling to my core. Maybe it was the fact that I knew something about Jeff that others didn't or it's just me finally calming down from all of the adrenaline of the day, but whatever this feeling was, it felt comforting.

"So what happened after that?" Jeff tensed for a moment at my question before answering.

"Well, that psycho bitch told you what happened. A lot changed and that made me change. Although, if we're being honest, it was for the better. I used to be such a pushover, now I don't move unless I want to." The legs of the chair he sat in scratched against the floor when he stood up. "Story time is over. We need to leave."