Chapter 23

"Phew! I'm glad to see you alive, darling

"Phew! I'm glad to see you alive, darling. I thought that you'd become a sassy & grumpy meal for the dragon. After which, I'm probably sure, the dragon would've had an upset stomach." Matthew snickered cheekily which earned him a deadpan look from Riley.

"So we are in a different realm now, Mad Hatter?" Riley sassed back.

Matthew gasped, clearly offended.

"Excuse you, young lady. You better watch it or else—"

"Or what?" Riley turned her head towards him so quick that it almost gave her a whiplash. Her eyes narrowed, daring him to carry out his threat.

"Or else I'll throw a lavish tea party in the middle of nowhere with all sorts of delicacies. Hehehe." Matthew gulped.

They walked through the woods in silence, the dragon nowhere to be seen. The breeze surrounding them was warm & salty, giving away that there was a water body somewhere near.

"So the Big Bad Alpha is your mate, huh. How're things between you two? You guys get along....fine?" Matthew smiled mischievously at Riley, gauging her  face for any reaction.

Riley flipped him a bird & kept on walking. A little further, they both came across a town which was buzzing with energy & happiness.

On closer inspection, Riley noticed that the people were dressed up in flashy attires. Men were wearing trousers, a button up shirt with ruffled collar, waist coat & then a trench coat. Women, on the other hand, were adorned with beautiful dresses & jewellery.

It looked like a scene straight from the movie Pride & Prejudice.

What on earth! Riley stood there, taking everything in with her jaw touching the floor.

"Ah yes we did travel back in time. Did I not mention that earlier?" Matthew sighed while casually running his gaze around. His eyes held the look of pure disinterest which only signified that it's not the first time he's seen all this.

"The hell you did! You didn't say anything about fücking time travelling or the dragons or anything!" Riley raged out, frustratingly throwing her hands in the air.

"Whoopsie. My apologies, Mademoiselle. It must've slipped off my mind. Being the most handsome & popular warlock isn't easy, you know. It's so tiresome to always have girls flocking around & fawning over my captivating beauty." Matthew dramatically sighed & waved his hand in a dismissive manner. 

"Uhhhh Matt, you need to get your head outta your ass, bruv. It's far too up there." Riley said in a monotone voice while walking further into the market.

"Yo Ma Cherié! Wait for me." Matthew yelled, catching upto her.

They roamed around the streets, Riley taking everything in with wonder & amazement. Matthew, on the other hand, was enjoying the reactions she displayed.

She's just a like a little child. So curious & easyily fascinated. He chuckled quietly.

As they were just casually strolling around the market, there was a sudden chaos. People gathering around in large masses & cheering about as if welcoming a hero.

"What's going on?" Riley asked, confused.

"Just wait & watch. Ahhh this never gets old." Matthew smirked. 

Between the commotion, Riley could make out a few tall & sturdy figures. They were dressed in armours & they had huge swords attached to their hips. It didn't take a genius to figure out that they were soldiers. They were hooting loudly while raising up their swords into the sky. 

But that wasn't what caught Riley's attention. It was the man who was riding the horse. He looked taller than everyone. He carried himself with such an immense power.  His aura demanded attention & respect. It's like you must respect him no matter what. He didn't seem the type you'd wanna mess with. Uh uh. Nada. Nope.

And if you pissed him off, it's safe to say that you'd probably find yourself six feet under. Period.

The said man had a toned physique. He appeared not less than six feet, at least. Broad shoulders looking proud. He had silky raven locks which fell just above his ears. He ran his fingers through those thick & silky tresses & women surrounding, awed at him.

There was a huge scar starting from his left eyebrow & ending near his prominent cheekbone. But that wasn't what left Riley flabbergasted.

It was his eyes.

One, brown. The other, silver.

The very same eyes she owned. But instead of having some warmth & kindness in those orbs, there was a freezing coldness in them. They had such a hollow depth that one could just stare into them but wouldn't find anything. Not even a flicker or emotion. It was like staring into a dark abyss.

He stepped down from the horse & stood there with his towering height. Glancing around, brown & silver orbs observing everyone, their movements. Abruptly, he unsheathed his sword & raised it towards the sky. A shadow fell onto the land from the sky above. A roar was heard.

Riley immediately raised her head up & saw the very same dragon she met a while ago. But he looked even more ferocious & looked like a royalty. The said dragon spread his wings & landed just behind the mysterious man.

The man smirked & rubbed the dragon's head to which the dragon purred like a kitten.

So the dragon belongs to him. Riley wondered.

"Who's that?" Riley asked.

"You're about to find out soon." Matthew teasingly smiled.

Riley looked at him, puzzled. There was a loud cheer & she turned her head fast to see what was going on. But she wished that she didn't. She nearly puked her guts out.

The mysterious man was holding a detached head & had that crazy glint in his eyes.

"My people! I, your King, Malphas Xander, hereby proudly announce that our neighbouring kingdom is now our kingdom. King Edward is no more & it's my pleasure that I was the last one to see him.....kill him." His strong & deep voice boomed.

Then he threw the head in the air & the dragon opened his mouth only to snap it shut after the head landed straight into his mouth.

Riley had her eyes widened with pure horror. She looked at Matthew with astonished eyes.

"Yes, Riley. That's your daddy dearest." Matthew smirked.

Author's Note:
Yes yes I know I've been out for so long. Wallahi I was running out of imagination & I had no motivation to write. But I'm back now & I'll try my best to keep updating exciting chapters in the future InShAllah.
Lots of love
Falah.