Chapter 24

Thud!

Riley woke upto the sound of Matthew throwing a wooden log into the raging fire, only to see the fire licking its way up and drowning it in flames.

Riley rubbed her eyes to get rid of the remaining sleep. Today, has been an eventful day, to say the least.

"Oh I'm sorry. Did I wake you?" Matthew looked at Riley, apologetically.

"No it's fine. What time is it?" Riley yawned.

Matthew thrusted his hand into his coat's pocket and fished out his pocket watch.

"It's past 3 in the morning. Why don't you get some more sleep?" Matthew sat down beside her.

"Nah it's cool." She spoke out while staring straight into the fire burning in front of her, drowning into the events that took place less than 24 hours ago.

Riley couldn't believe her life. Not only did she see her biological father but also witnessed his ruthlessness. She could never forget how merciless he looked with scarlet splattered all over his face. His unique eyes were so cold and empty. Daunting. But there was a glint. A crazy and malicious glint in his eyes which showed that he really enjoyed all this bloodshed and violence. It's like he almost craves it. She shivered, trying to shake off all these horrendous thoughts away.

When she looked towards Matthew, he already has his orbs set on her. A smirk playing onto his lips, his left hand holding a stick with a marshmallow attached, which Riley failed to notice until now while his other hand was supporting his cheek.

"I know you're feeling too overwhelmed with whatever happened. But trust me, it's all gonna start making sense soon. Sometimes we don't understand certain people and their actions, neither do they themselves realise what they're doing but all it takes is that one person to knock some senses into their heads. Literally." Matthew chuckled.

"What are you talking about?" Riley asked, dumbfounded.

"Now if I reveal everything to you, where's the fun in that, Ma Cherié." Matthew teased her.

Riley just gave him a death stare to which Matthew just shrugged and took a bite from his roasted marshmallow.

"I wonder what your Wolf boyfriend must be doing right now hmm." He smirked.

~~~~~~~•••~~~~~~~
Knock knock!

"Your H— Alpha, we've secured the borders and sent a troop to the neighbouring pack. Anymore orders?" Samuel, the pack warriors' head, basically the third in command, spoke with a stoic expression.

There was a long pause and Samuel raised his head to look towards the Alpha who was sitting behind his desk, only to find him looking out of the window, into the green of his magnificent garden with a luxurious looking fountain in the middle.

Elijah, who was leaning on a huge bookshelf, looked towards Ace and then at poor Samuel. He cleared his throat and nodded towards Samuel, which Samuel took as his leave.

Elijah sighed and walked towards Ace, standing in front of him, blocking his view.

"Ace, bud, don't worry. We'll find her. Besides she's with Matthew. She'll be fine." Elijah consoled.

Ace didn't speak for a long period and the only sound you could hear was the sound of the grandfather's clock going tick tock.

"I know that, Eli. But it's my wolf, he wants her by his side at every passing moment. He's acting like a clingy bitch." He groaned lowly and threw his head into his palms.

"Well that's just how they are. Overprotective and overwhelmingly possessive." Elijah just chuckled and squeezed Ace's shoulder.

Ace didn't say anything just nodded in acknowledgment. The rest of the day just zapped by with some boring Alpha duties and some even boring phone calls.

Ace sighed after hanging up the last call. It was regarding Riley's whereabouts but he still had no luck in finding her. Not even close. The only thing which was slightly relieving was that she was with the most powerful and most respected warlock.

The only problem was that it was a he. His wolf was aching to come out and find his mate as soon as possible but Ace knew that it wouldn't end up pretty.

His wolf was acting all territorial over his mate and just the idea of another male sniffing around Riley was making his blood boil.

He knew he had to find Riley soon, not only for the sake of his wolf but also his.

~~~~~~~~~~••~~~~~~~~~~
"Sooooo.....when are we gonna see my dad again?" Riley asked scrunching up her face, the term 'dad' leaving a foreign taste in her mouth.

"Whenever the fate wants us to meet him." Matthew answered with a cryptic message.

Riley gave him a glare, clearly not impressed with his response. As much as she didn't want to believe that her father was a ruthless man, the image of her father holding a chopped off head flashed through her mind endlessly. It was driving her insane.

"Look Riley, we all are sinners. We've all done terrible things in the past but what really makes a difference is repentance and making amends. That's what differentiates us from monsters who got no conscience or soul." Matthew calmly spoke out while picking up a fallen flower from the ground. It was withered but as soon as he gently stroked it's petals, it bloomed back to life.

"Your father sure was a cold man and even more of a ruthless warrior but his heart was kindled by a delicate flower with a will stronger than a wall. She turned his whole world upside down. She made his dead heart beat back to life. She tamed the beast inside him with her gentle touch. Most of all, she was his sanity and yet, drove him towards insanity. Ironic, isn't it." Matthew smirked, twirling the flower around his long and slender fingers.

Author's Note:
Ayo wassup fam? I know I know! Before you all start throwing stuff at me, hear me out please. I've been feeling low a lot lately & I've also taken a part time job to distract myself from everything. I've been under a lot of stress lately & I'm feeling lost & lonely like I've nobody to talk to or nobody that could actually understand me. But I still wanted to give y'all a chapter cuz y'all are my fam. Thank you so much for being so patient & for not giving up on me. I know I've been away for far too long but now I'm back & now we'll be getting some Ace X Riley time. You're gonna fan girl I swear. Nothing too cliche cuz we've got some dark romance here babies. Anyways I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter. Will update another one soon InShAllah. Y'all are always in my thoughts & prayers. Please do remember me in your prayers as well.
Lots of love♥️
Falah