Chapter 29

Grief

Grief.

Grief isn't just a word. It's an emotion. A suffocating feeling that gnaws you from the inside & fill you with a deep void that never seems to fade away.

The heart-wrenching wailing of the broken souls filled the gloomy air as they were bidding their lost loved ones a last good bye.

"PAUL!!!!! No!!! You promised that we'd spend the rest of our lives together. That every morning we'd wake up next to each other & every night your face would be the last face I see before I close my eyes. You promised to kiss my tears & fears away. Open your eyes, just once, Paul!" A woman sobbed while cradling the casket of a lifeless soldier.

"Don't take him away. I'm begging you, please. No! Paul!!!!! Noooooooo!!!!" The sobbing woman screamed in agony, not letting go of the casket.

She had beautiful forest green eyes which would've looked even lovelier if it were to be some other day. But today, they were lost, hopeless & painfully brimmed with tears. The tears rolled down her soft cheeks ruthlessly, her long auburn hair tied in a simple braid which had some stubborn strays falling out sticking to her wet face. Her tan skin looked paler than usual as if all the life has been drained out of her.

Her small frame trembling with painful sobs as the casket of her beloved was being taken away by grieving relatives.

"No. Noooooo! PAUL!!!!" Her soul shattering screams piercing through the dark sky & people's heart who were trying to hold her back. She was a tragic mess.

On the other corner, a father's casket was being lifted off the ground, besides a weeping little boy who had his fingers interlaced with his father's cold & lifeless fingers.

"Papa....wake up please. I won't sneak out in the middle of the night to play hide & seek anymore. I promise, Papa." The teary eyed boy whimpered while his crying mother took him in her arms. Shielding him away from the sight of his dead father.

Everywhere one could feel the death looming over. Several coffins being lifted up, their loved ones trying to catch a glimpse of the departed souls one last time, engraving it into their minds & hearts.

As if the sky was also mourning, the dark clouds roared with a stark lightening & soon the sky started weeping in the form of rain.

"Are you alright, love?" A deep but soft voice whispered into Riley's ears. She turned around to find Ace's tender & worried eyes looking at her with concern.

Riley's heart throbbed at the sight of him worried. She walked towards him & wrapped her arms around his neck tightly, much to his surprise.

Ace, still not used to... this side of her, stumbled back in surprise. But instantly, he wrapped one arm around her petite waist & brushed her hair softly with the other.