Chapter 26

Time

Time.

Time is a strange element. It doesn't wait for anyone nor does it sympathise with anyone. It moves at its own pace.

And it's true that time does reveal everything & everyone at it's own perfect timing. But it doesn't necessarily mean that those revelations always results in something good. It could result in something dark or twisted as well.

The air was heavy & there was a tense blanket of atmosphere which spread across the large hall. Everything was too quiet that Riley could actually hear her blood rushing through her body. The pounding of her heart didn't help either.

Everyone were on their toes, coiled like a python, ready to spring when threatened. Their hands hovering across their weapons, prepared either to kill or be killed.

"This day is indeed turning out to be rather an interesting one." King Malphas Xander mused, his unusual orbs glinting with amusement.

"Oh quit the drama, will ya Malphas? I was just gone for a century & you're acting like I was gone for an eternity." Matthew waved his hand in a dismissive manner while rolling his eyes.

King Malphas Xander was quick to take a notice of an unfamiliar silhouette standing next to his so called "brother". He instantly realised that the girl was no ordinary girl, she had this extremely powerful aura surrounding her to even which she wasn't aware of. 

"Won't you give my introduction to this ethereal creature here, hmm?" Malphas smiled ruefully while keeping his gaze on her.

Riley, who has been too quiet, shifter under the unwanted attention. She didn't know what to do as she was completely clueless of the situation.

"Why don't you see for yourself, brother? Maybe you'll find out a thing or two. So shall we take this somewhere private or what." Matthew smirked.

Malphas waved his hand & the whole crowd dispersed out of the room, no one daring to protest as they didn't want to witness the wrath of their mighty King.

When there was no one left in the room but the trio, Malphas got up from his throne & walked towards Matthew & Riley to which she staggered a few steps back without even realising. She was intimidated with this man who was towering over her with an aura of authority & power.

Before she could get any further away, Matthew placed a warm hand onto her back, preventing her from revealing any vulnerability or intimidation that she's feeling.

He could sense her anxiety which was directed towards his brother not because how powerful he was but for the sole reason that the cold & ruthless man standing before her was none other than her father, her own flesh & blood.

Malphas engulfed Matthew in a warm & suffocating embrace which resulted in him choking. Malphas slapping his back a few times, each slap harder than the previous one making his brother groan & him chuckle.

There was a flicker of a foreign emotion that passed through Malphas' unusual eyes which Riley could've easily missed if she wasn't staring at him with scepticism.

She could clearly see that he was truly happy to see Matthew, judging by the twinkle in his eyes & the smile.

He looked nothing like the heartless warrior returning back from a war with victory & a decapitated head, who she witnessed yesterday.

Riley shivered & rubbed her hands across her arms as she felt goosebumps breaking out on her skin.

As Malphas turned towards Riley, he shot his hand forward, a silent gesture for a greeting to which Riley just stared down blankly at his hand. Debating whether to shake it or not as she was still sceptical of this man.

Malphas, not used to such a behaviour, especially from women, quirked an eyebrow in pure amusement. She has sparked his interest.

Matthew cleared his throat which snapped Riley out from her internal debate & made her look up at Malphas. She brought her hand forward & placed her hand on top of his awaiting one to which he shook firmly.

He didn't miss the spark of energy radiating through her hands as it travelled on further. He knew that the anonymous girl is not an average one within the first glance. But he didn't think that she would have this immense aura surrounding her which could set alarms off even from a mile away.

Riley looked him dead in the eye & grabbed his hand more firmly noticing the tight grip he had on her hand. He's testing her. She knew it all.

"What is your name, Little one?" Malphas mused with a glint in his eyes.

"It's Riley, Your Highness." Riley said with a firm voice.

"That's a very fierce name. It's perfect for you. Where did you find her, brother?" Malphas ruefully smiled & then turned his attention towards Matthew.

"Well I saw her getting in trouble with one of your guards & for that note, you really need to kick these assholes out. They're pathetic bunch of wussies." Matthew said while chugging down a glass of wine that was stored in a mini bar, stationed right across the hall.

Riley didn't even notice when Matthew left her side & went to the other end of the hall. She briefly glanced back at Malphas to see him shaking his head at his brother's behaviour.

Before anyone could say anything, there was a huge thunder that struck the hall & suddenly all the lights went out. There was utter darkness surrounding the hall.

"What was that?" Malphas calmly stated but still positioned in an alerted stance.

"Uhhhhh.....that is our cue to leave, brother. Riley c'mon, let's get outta here. I'll see you soon, Malphas. And please change the goddamn curtains of my room. They're bloody pink!" Matthew exasperatedly said while grabbing Riley's hand & running towards the huge patio doors leading to a beautiful balcony.

"What the hell are you doing?" Riley yelled at him trying to get a grasp on the current situation.

"We need to leave. Right now!" Matthew rushed out whole digging in his coat as if looking for something.

"What's happening?" Riley worriedly asked, glancing back at Malphas only to see him walking towards them.

"Ace is here." He whispered while picking her up in his arms & leaping out, off the balcony towards the magnificent garden sprawled across the castle. Only lush green could be seen running for miles & miles.

Malphas, who was unaware of the entire situation started running towards the duo, trying to catch a hold of them.

"MATTHEW!!!"

Malphas calling out for his brother was the last thing that both of them heard before vanishing into the thin air.

Author's Note:
Yes yes I know. I deserve a good thrashing for staying out too long but I'm running out of ideas. Istg imma cry. I'm so sorry. Anyways thanks a ton for being so supportive. You're the best audience I could ever ask for. Thank you so much for being so patient with me. Show Ace & Riley Some love with comments & votes. Thanks y'all.
Oh & also you guys send me some feedback through Instagram as well. My username is @falahlalalaaaaa on Instagram.
And abt the chapter...*sigh* how did y'all like it? Hope I'm doing better than before. Lemme know y'all okay. Keep me in your thoughts & prayers. Thank youuuu.
Lots of love ♥️😘😭
~Falah