Chapter- 28

Fate

Fate.

It's a very strange word with an even stranger meaning behind it.

What exactly is fate?

Fate means that everything in human lives & in the world itself takes place according to an immutable pattern.

It works in such a mysterious way that nobody could even see it coming.

It's all written. It's fate.

Wind rustling, swishing past the trees & carrying whispers of an unspoken tale. The darkness casting its shadow on earth, painting everything & everyone in its obsidian.

The moon, as if answered an unheard prayer of a lover, bestowing it's own light upon the world, illuminating a path for those who are lost on their way.

"Why do we have to go to Rodden?" Riley asked, coming straight to the point. Having enough of Matthew's ridiculous riddles.

"Ahhhggghhh! Do you've to be so annoying, questioning everything & everyone?" Matthew blew out a frustrated breath.

"Excuse me?" Riley stopped in her tracks & raised a threatening brow at him, daring him to repeat himself again.

Matthew saw the raised brow & thought against the idea of ticking her off.

"Don't you wanna see your mother?" He inquired.

An unknown feeling passed through Riley's chest & there was a long pause. Overwhelmed by the unknown emotion, Riley clutched her chest tightly, where her heart rested & started breathing heavily as if she's having a panic attack. Or maybe, she was having a panic attack.

"Woah! Woah! Calm down, will ya? Only you'd have a panic attack at the thought of meeting your Madré. Matthew joked while placing a steady hand on her shoulder.

"Oh shut up. Until a few days ago, I didn't even know I had parents, okay. So shoot me for reacting in such a way." Riley snapped at him, pushing off his hand which was placed on her shoulder.

CRUNCHHHH!!!!

There was a sudden sharp noise of dried leaves crunching as if someone or something stepped over them.

Riley & Matthew, both whipped their head abruptly to the direction of the noise & noticed rather a large, dark beast prowling out of the shadows. His familiar emerald eyes gleaming like glitters & looking straight into Riley's.

"Oh greatttt." Matthew said flatly.

"Ace, what are you doing here?" Riley asked, confused at his unannounced & sudden appearance.

Ace shifted back into his human form, completely bare & unashamed, dusted off some leaves out of his hair & started walking towards Riley.

Riley, who was undeniably as red as a tomato, obviously from being shy, looked anywhere but him until he stopped a few steps away from her.