chapter 62

nini's pov

we walk hand in hand back into the cafe sliding back into our same booth together. i note that my hot chocolate is gone, but ricky's is still there. "why is mine gone?" i announce to ricky. he doesn't really get the chance to speak when the waiter boy comes from behind us with my same cup, "here," he says setting it down, "didn't want it to get cold," he gives a warm smile. i give back a tight smile not wanting to verbally respond. he's trying to piss ricky off. he immediately leaves back to the kitchen. this cute cafe date is turning into anything but cute right now. "really," ricky deeply states with a flat tone. "it's a little funny," i say with a 'hmp' sounding higher pitched noise that was a short laugh. he just narrows his eyes at me with a stern look. "sorry not funny then," i say snuggling into his side which he reciprocated. moments later he brings us our food. when he asks if we need anything else i just shut it down before either boy speaks, "no that's it. we'll be fine for the rest of our meal," i assure him being as straightforward as i can. he finally looks like he'll leave but catches sight of something. "did you find your wallet?" he asks ricky with what seemed to be an attempt at an eye roll. "sure did," he tells the waiter sliding his arm around my waist again not being shy at all about leaving his hand on my butt this time not even reaching for my leg which would be more modest. i'm lost in this interaction and am waiting for some clarity. "figured," waiter boy says rather rudely and turning away after looking at my neck? or chest? "what the heck?" i say aloud. ricky slides his hand up to rest on my back while addressing my words, "guess he finally got the hint," while pecking my hair. i furrow my eyebrows, but starts eating my really good looking food. ricky and i actually enjoy our meal and finish up. he pays our bill and we're off to the car again. "let's go home," he says swinging our hands a bit. when he get in the car i catch sight of my neck in the rear view mirror as i'm beginning to get out of my parallel parking, "ricky bowen!" i say in a shocked voice gasping as i run my fingers down my neck lifting myself off of my seat to fully look in the mirror. i whip my head to him, "really?" i say in a tone. he looks at me sheepishly not making a single movement as he's sat back in the passenger seat. there are love bites all over my neck. "why'd you do that?!" i say in a desperate tone without raising my voice. i question him not on board with why he did this. i'm not dense. i know he did it to prove a point to that guy, but what is his legit reasoning for littering my neck like this. i look at him expectantly waiting until he speaks. "i'm sorry baby, but he just wouldn't stop eyeing you. and i can only imagine what he was thinking," he says the next part in the same desperate tone beginning to look sad in the eyes but angry in his stone cold expression. "who cares what he was thinking. it's not like i was doing anything," i say back thinking he thought i would act on it. that hurt really bad. my heart kind of sunk when that thought made its way into my mind wondering if he didn't trust me. he shakes his head pushing himself off the back of his seat to be more visibly involved in the conversation. "of course you wouldn't nini. i know that. but-," i stop right there. "but?" his face drops some, "you don't trust me?" i ask feeling my eyes get glossy, but nothing more. he reaches for my hand and i let him take it, "baby listen. i trust you more than anyone i know. i know you know that. so please. please get that idea of me not trusting you out of your mind," he pleadingly tells me maintaining eye contact with every word. "i was worried about him. not you. he was relentless with you and i just knew that would get him to back off. i'm really sorry nins." he rubs his thumb back and forth on our intertwined hands bringing up his other to push hair behind my ear. "i understand. i'm not angry or anything along those lines. i was just surprised is all. i'm sorry i got upset like that. thank you," i tell him for his reassurance and kind patience with me moving forward for a soft kiss. his hand holds my cheek as he continues this conversation, "i don't mean to get jealous. it's just that," he crinkles his face for a second at his upcoming words, "i know how guys look at you and it makes my blood boil. i get worried that you'll like them more than me for a lot of reasons," he trails off. my heart and eyes soften at his words feeling how hurt these situations make him feel through his expressiveness. "please know that you never need to feel like that with me. i could care less about anyone else but you. i'm sorry i had no idea you felt like this." realization sinks in at how this is a serious conversation for this relationship only making me that much more aware of how much i'm falling for my best friend. "i know. i really do. it's just hard not to let my thoughts get the better of me. i'm sorry again about today," he expresses. i smile with my lips, "im not saying i didn't enjoy your loves bites...," i trail off catching his face go a little red, "i just need you to understand that you don't need to do things to prove something to a guy. not with me." our lips connect once again in a butterfly inducing kiss filled with his emotion. he holds out his pinky. something we haven't done in years. i smile eyeing it. "promise?" he asks. i connect my pink to his, "promise baby." we comfortably drive home definitely swimming individually in our own thoughts.

nini's realization foreshadowing something?