chapter 26

nini's pov

the next three weeks leading up to homecoming fly by. i wake up first thing friday morning to get dressed into my cheer uniform. i rush through my morning routine by throwing on some light makeup, packing my cheer bag, putting my hair into a cute low ponytail with my bow, and getting downstairs to the kitchen for breakfast. i got ready just in time to leave with the spare 30 minutes i wanted before school starts. i made sure to let ricky know he had to skate all the way to school today. i got to school to meet all the girls and run through our routines and practice our stunts one last time before the big homecoming game tonight. we even have a pep assembly today for the football boys and amp up the excitement for the dance this weekend. after the quick practice, the building starts to fill with the noise of students arriving to school. i exit the gym making my way to my locker before class starts in a bit. once i reach the top of the staircase, i notice ricky standing at my locker. i give him a wave when we make eye contact and start to pick up my pace just slightly to make it over to him assuming that he's been waiting. i'm not too far from my locker when greyson walks up to the side of me capturing my full attention with the flowers in his hands. he gives me a sweet smile with a beautiful bundle of colorful flowers held against his chest. but before he even opens his mouth to speak, i already know where this is going. my heart rate picks up and i get that flash of heat in my chest. i start to open my mouth, but he beats me to it. my mouth hangs open and quickly shifts to a weak, sympathetic smile while i let him speak. "i know that in the past you've gone in a group with your friends to homecoming nini, but i would really like to go with you if you'd give me the honor of being your date of course," he looks super nervous. that only makes it more tempting to say yes to him. i'm about to give into him by going with him alone, but for some reason i just can't? it feels like forever that we're standing there in silence waiting for me to respond as my mind races to reach a conclusion, he's so great. he's super nice. you like spending time with him. it's just a dance for one night of your life nini. but what about your friends? what about ricky? my final thought is what gets stuck in my head. why am i thinking about what ricky thinks in this moment?! i take a long breath and meet his eyes for the first time since he spoke, "this is so so sweet," i start off speaking slowly and give him a toothy smile as my cheeks flush red, "but. um. i just really enjoy homecoming with my friends grey." why did you just call him grey? do people even call him that? guess i'm just trying to lighten his mood the best i can. he looks away from me just for a second as i wait for his next reaction that i'm super nervous for, now realizing that i just completely rejected him. "i get it," he tells me. i give him a confused look and he continues, "but you could always give the whole date thing a chance," he says not snarky, but rather in a bashful, sarcastic tone. "why don't you come with our group," i suggest to him as a compromise considering i just said no to him. he nods his head yes a little, "will you still take the flowers?" i laugh and my heart flutters a little, "of course." he passes them to me and i go up on my tippy toes to give him a hug. it just felt like i needed to, even though i'm happy with my decision.

ricky's pov

my eyes are intently watching the interaction between nini and greyson as i stay leaned up against her locker. given the flowers that are now in her hands, i know exactly what just happened. i scoff out loud and hear a voice say, "what's with you?" it brings me out of my concentration. "oh, hey," i say to big red now standing next to me. "so once again. what up with you?" "well nini just got a date to homecoming," i say annoyed with my face lacking emotion as i nod my head to greyson and nini hugging as she holds a bouquet of flowers at her side for big red to look. "ricky just tell her for crying out loud!" i finally pry my eyes off of them to look at big red like he's crazy. "i don't have feelings for my best friend dude!" big red raises his eyebrows with a confident look, "i didn't even have to elaborate what i meant. you just confirmed what i already knew." "dude i don't like her like that. i just don't know why she just agreed to go with him is all!" i look back over to nini's direction and see them pull out of their hug. "i gotta get to class red. i'll see you," i strongly exhale and ball up my free fist as i walk in the opposite direction of greyson and nini.