chapter 42

ricky's pov

i wake up monday morning to my alarm the first time i hear it which never happens. the snooze button and i are very good friends. but today's different. today is the day of my first basketball game of the season. i go through my morning routine as usual. i race down my stairs to have breakfast with my dad at the smell of fresh french toast. i guess you could say bowen boys know how to cook for whatever reason. "hey dad," i greet as i take my seat at the island. "someone's early this morning. i didn't expect you down here for another 10 minutes at least," he tells me. "guess i'm just ready to get on with the day given its game day," i say as i take the plate of food he was passing me. "speaking of game day. your mom won't be coming home until your third game. sorry she's gonna miss the first game of the season son." i pause momentarily thinking about how i've gotten used to her not being around. she hasn't come home in weeks. not since the morning she left before i went to school weeks ago. "k. that's fine. she'll still come to the rest of them. i don't miss that he gives me a look of sympathy, "rick, i'm pretty sure she's just coming into town for that one game." i pause my chewing, "what. why though?" i gotta say that i'm not even upset. more just confused. "she said she's going back into town right after your game." "she's coming home for less than a day to go back to work that fast?" i question. "yeah, she seems to have a lot of work to be done lately," he unintentionally emphasizes the word work. i'm not sure what he means, but just as i'm about to question it my phone rings. "hello?" i hear the sweet voice of nini come through the phone. "what's up?" "it's almost 7. are you running late?" she checks with me. i'd usually be at her car by now. realization hits me when i pull the phone away to confirm the time. "shoot. sorry nins. be there soon. got to talking with my dad." "all good! see you in a few," she says before hanging up on the other end. "bye dad. nini's waiting on me," i say shoving a huge bite into my mouth to clear my plate before hopping off the stool to rush out the door. "have a good day. i'll see you tonight." i sling my bag over my shoulder while i grab my skateboard. i begin gliding down the sidewalk and do none other than think. i haven't seen nini since we hung out at the skatepark just the other night. i can feel the butterflies begin to start as i remember that she's going to be in her cheer uniform today which i haven't seen her in since the end of football season. more than anything i'm excited for her to watch me play tonight. eventually, i hop in the car. she speaks before i even have time to, "excited for your game?" she asks with a big smile knowing how much i love basketball season. "mhmm. very excited. a certain someone has to cheer me on tonight," i say as i watch her blush shaking her head at me. she pulls out of her driveway and we're off to start the day. i can't help but admire how good she looks in this moment. she's always so well put together with no effort at all.  the golden rays of the sun are reflecting off of her deep brown eyes making them so captivating to look at. it's easy to tell that she's pretty zoned out and focused on the road as she's driving right now. i take in everything about her appearance from her relaxed ponytail of her long chocolate brown hair to her perfect makeup free tanned face. she relaxes her right hand in her lap as she settles into driving on the straight away road. i'd say my confidence due to my excitement for today makes me more bold than i think i would've been. i extend my arm over to intertwine our hands together. i pull her hand from her own lap to mine. i can see out of the corner of my eye that she looks at me as i do, but turns away when i stopped moving our hands. i'm assuming it's cause she realized i was simply grabbing her hand. i know i'm a good player and the game is going to be full of adrenaline, but i still have some nerves. and having these few minutes of driving to keep her hand in mine is enough before we have to go into school to keep up our act of platonic best friends. this morning is flying by because we're already making our way into the building. "i won't be in any of my morning classes today because we have to practice, but i'll see you at the game," she informs me. "if you're not in class, who am i going to cheat off of," i say giggling while watching for her response. she playfully rolls her eyes and shoves me in the arm. "i'm just kidding," i reply in my own defense. "sure bowen," she says smiling up at me. something about her calling me by my last name gives me a different feeling, a good one. we make it to the front doors about to part ways, but just before that, she makes the already prominent butterflies go entirely crazy in my stomach. she places a hand on my shoulder to aid her in standing on her tippy toes as she whispers out quickly, "you're gonna be amazing. be sure to have a good day. i'll be cheering for you the most," then she kisses my cheek. she turns away and all i'm left with is the sight of her walking away. even the back of her is pretty i think as i gush. a faint voice is heard behind me, "you gonna just stand there and block the door all day. move," some kid i've never seen shoves past me. i must've gotten lost in the moment. let's just say i head off to class feeling even more anxious for the day to be over and playing basketball.