chapter 54

general pov

it was now sunday. ricky made plans with nini to take her out on another nice date for the afternoon before the school week started up again. these plans were made as ricky was sliding on his shoes to head home for the night. it seemed like weekends were the time for them to spend together in their own little world especially with their new addiction for one another and the happiness that went along with their official relationship. at the end of the day, the most important thing was spending time with one each other. today was meant to be a chance for ricky and nini to enjoy each other's company before the busy five days of school took over. that is, until lynn's decided to show up in town again.

ricky's pov

i wake up to a phone call coming in through my phone and pressing the answer button the second i see it's nini's contact on my screen, "nini!" i say bringing the phone to my ear as i lay on my side in bed. "hi," she laughs saying the word, "did i wake you?" she asks due my groggy voice. "mm-maybe," i respond jokingly. "oops. well, i was calling cuz i wanted to know what time i am supposed to come over." i listen thinking of how she said she would be driving over later since we have to drive to where we're going today. "does 11 work?" i check with her. "yep. i'll see you in a couple hours." "sounds good. bye nins." after our short phone call, i go downstairs to get breakfast hoping that my dad is already up making something or at least willing to make something if i ask. i see him chilling on the couch watching tv, "hey dad." "hey, i didn't expect you awake yet," he tells me as i sit down next to him on the couch. "why is everyone always so surprised when i don't sleep in?" and he just eyes me with a hint of a smile. "anyway, could you make me breakfast? pleeeease?" causing my dad to roll his eyes dramatically. "what do you want?" he groans full jokingly standing up from the couch to enter the kitchen as i follow. "bacon and eggs sound good," i suggest and he starts pulling those out of the fridge. "so what are your plans for today kid?" "nini's coming over at 11 then we're gonna go out," i respond completely comfortable talking about her with my dad now. "so everything's going good?" he checks in reference to her and i. i smile thinking about it, "uh yeah. we're officially dating now actually," i inform him since nini had told one of her moms. i look up to see his face having not heard him say anything yet, "so my son has a girlfriend now is what i'm hearing." "haha very funny," i respond annoyed because i'm feeling embarrassed by his remark even though i'm not embarrassed of my relationship by any means. "i like nini for you," he says stirring the eggs in the pan. i nod my head, "mhmm. okay dad. thanks but can we move on from this conversation." "sure thing," he says laughing. we end having a simple breakfast together watching the tv from the kitchen island. as soon as i'm done eating, i head back up to my room. i end up playing a new video game with big red on the other end for a bit before i needed to get ready. i get changed into a somewhat nice outfit early enough that i still had some time to wait for nini. i hear a door slam from downstairs causing me to rush out of my room. doors never slam and nini wouldn't slam the door behind her coming in. plus it's still too early for her to be here. then i hear the all too familiar yelling. "lynne, you've been in the door for two seconds!" my dad says to her angrily in response to who knows what she just said. i cautiously walk down the stairs to the living room where they are. "mom?" "ricky hon. tell you father to calm down," she says frustratingly waving her hand at his direction. so i guess that's how she's greeting me after being gone for weeks. and my dad wasn't even yelling like she was. "um," i say unsure of what to do and i think my dad knows that. "don't speak to him like that. how about a 'hello ricky. how are you?' you show up here without any warning and zero returned phone calls. you realize that he's been in the hospital right lynne?" he begins to loose his temper a bit at that. i start backing up towards the stairs inching back slowly trying not to abruptly leave knowing that she would stop me. my heart starts to race as i wait for her response unsure of what it could be. i never know what she's going to say. "i was busy mike," is all that she says. i don't get it. she doesn't even acknowledge what my dad just said. i successfully leave the room without her seeing and rush to hide in my room. i don't wanna hear any of it and i start feeling nauseous from how fast my heart is racing to accommodate for my mind that's racing with all things to do with my mom being back home. i move around my room grabbing my phone and wallet that way i'm ready to go as i countdown the minutes until nini should be getting here. then it hits me. nini's coming inside first. my breathing gets faster thinking about her hearing the yelling. she knows that my mom is has been pretty absent for the past year, but has never seen any of the stuff that happens behind closed doors. not have i ever talked about it to anyone. as 11am gets closer, i go down the stairs quietly. i'm trying to get out the door, so i can meet nini outside instead to avoid this whole mess. but of course, my mom sees me. "ricky come here now," she raises her voice so sternly. i don't want to make matters worse, so i just do as she says hoping that it won't take long. "so apparently your father here thinks i don't do enough for the family-," my dad butts in, "that is not what i said lynne," "that's what you were getting at mike! so ricky, were gonna spend the day together." my eyes go big as i look to my dad for help knowing that he knows i can't today. i'm not gonna cancel my plans for some drama my mom is just going to start. he gives me a sympathetic look. i look to back to my mom, "i'm busy today." "excuse me?" she's never been this harsh towards me before. "i use my thumb to point towards the door for some reasons. i guess to signal that i was on my way out, "i. i already have plans today mom. if you're not leaving, we can always do something after school any day," i suggest as a compromise speaking tenderly in hopes to suppress her anger. "let me guess. with your perfect little bestie down the street," she says with malice. i just know my face is scrunched up in surprise and anger at her assumption that was directly meanly towards nini. she continues on, "i mean when are you not with that girl. she's not good for you ricky," she finished by crossing her arms. "what?" i ask completely shocked. i never want to elaborate my feelings with her because i'm terrified of seeing her get more mad at me or my dad. she's so unpredictable. just then, i hear a key slide into the front door's doorknob. and so does my dad in the midst of my mom huffing and puffing too much to notice. i swiftly look at him scared of what to do and his eyes are big too.

nini's pov

after trying to keep myself busy all morning to distract myself from the couple hours of waiting i had to do before time to go to ricky's, it was finally almost time to go. i do a final glance in my mirror then walk out of the door with my phone and keys in hand. once i pull into the driveway, i walk up to ricky's house searching through my few keys to hold out their house key, that mike let me keep after ricky got better, letting myself in. i knew he was already expecting me and i tried to suppress my tiny smile of excitement to see ricky. i step in the doorway as i'm opening the door with my hand still on the door knob. i freeze seeing that right in front of me i see lynne throw her hands up in the air in total disbelief saying, "oh little miss perfect is here now. what are the odds of that!" a rush of heat flows through my chest feeling awkward and scared from the unexpectancy of her anger directed at me. i keep my eyes on her not being able to look at anything else as words come flying out of her mouth so quickly. she turns her whole body towards me, "you think you can just walk into my home? and looking like that?!" i glance down to see what clothes i had put on not too long ago to see what she means, but i don't follow, "i don't want a nasty little wh*re spending time with my son," she says looking me up and down with a face of disgust then staring at my skirt. my hearing feels fuzzy as i try to take in what she just said that to me as i stay standing in the doorway frozen momentarily gripping the doorknob. through my blurred eyes from tears i see a figure rushing towards me screaming out a muffled, "what the fuck is wrong with you!" to lynne. i can't process this situation as i step back closing the door behind me as i swiftly rush towards my car trying escape the utter humiliation i'm feeling. the tears escape my eyes falling quickly down my face, but make no attempt to wipe them away. i get only a few steps down the walkway when ricky gently, but affirmatively holds my arm at the elbow. i feel so embarrassed having that said about me and he heard all of it obviously. i don't even want him to look at me right now. "nini. please. hold on," he says pleadingly while trying to get in front of me. when he does, it stops my walking. he sees my face of tears and his facial expression goes from shocked and angry to absolute sadness. i divert my eyes away from his completely turning my head to where he can't see my face. this only causes me to cry harder. "baby, i'm so so so sorry. oh my gosh." i bring a hand to my face as i cry harder trying to hold in tears. "look at me nins," he says while reaching both hands out to softly hold my cheeks in them, but i don't wanna turn my head to make eye contact with him. "baby, please," he asks one more time. i take a deep breath to contain myself for the next few seconds. i pull his hands down from my face then look at him and i hate how sad he looks for me. i put on my best happy voice, "i'm gonna head home. go spend time with your mom since she's in town," i give him a tight smile and his jaw drops. i'm trying to maintain the act otherwise my tears are going to fall even harder. "what?" he says with a voice crack, "please don't leave. especially because of her," he says grabbing my forearm carefully. i shake my head no reaching for my keys that i shoved into my pocket. "no that's okay. i'll see you at school," i say wanting to get out of this so badly. i feel so awful and don't want to risk lynne coming outside to say more to me. i just feel scared and uncomfortable. i try to step around him, but at my first sign of movement, he grabs my waist. and right then, i don't feel the need to try to race to my car before he can stop me anymore. the tears begin to fall again freely, but i can't look at him. he brings a hand to my cheek, "i'm so sorry nini," he speaks quietly and gently to me, "she's literally insane. i'm so sorry you had to see and hear that. and everything she said was wrong. i don't even know why she's home and she only showed up an hour ago. you're so beautiful. so so beautiful. and her words were disgusting and not even close to the way me or anyone else who knows you would describe you." he says in full effort to convince me, but it doesn't work. "why'd she say those things," i get out through sniffles and wiping tears off of the cheek he isn't cradling. he exhales a breath, "i don't understand anything she does, but i promise that nothing she says matters. and nothing she said is true about you. i'm serious." "she called me a wh*re to my face and said that you shouldn't spend time with me ricky," i say my thoughts out loud of the words repeating in my head on a loop with her voice. i squint my eyes shut mad at myself that i'm crying this much. "well she couldn't be more wrong nins," he says his voice desperate. i finally look up to his eyes that were red themselves and he takes a step closer to me. i push my forehead against his chest not saying a word. he follows as he rests his cheek on the top of my head whispering out, "i'm sorry for all of this and her mess." i shake my head no against him not wanting him to take on any of the blame.

there's a part 2!