chapter 45

nini's pov

i wake up the next morning to the sound of mike talking to a doctor or nurse. i open my eyes to see them both analyzing a computer screen that i can't see from this angle. i assume they're looking at an x ray of some sort. mike's serious eyes are glued to the screen make me nervous, but i hear comforting words of the doctor, "inflammation has already began going down here," he says pointing to a specific part of the screen. "he does however have a lot of swelling where the initial trauma to the head occurred and will take lots of time to heal. his healing process is simple because it only requires rest. it will only heal properly and the fastest it can if he truly rests and takes it more than easy for a couple weeks. he will have some difficulties in the meantime due to lighting, loud noises, and the ability for his eyes to focus. i do want you to be assured that he will be okay though granted he rests. i cannot stress that enough mr. bowen." mike nods his head along the whole time to the doctor. the doctor is about to head out, but adds on one more thing, "he is currently on some heaving pain medication we have running through his iv periodically. when richard is officially discharged for a release to go home we will prescribe your pharmacy with morning and night pain medication that will also help with the swelling." i turn my focus back to ricky as he's still sleeping and will probably be doing a whole lot of it for a while. i feel much more at ease knowing that there's no permanent damage and that he will be entirely okay in time. it's still hard to see him like this though. i run my thumb without thinking on the back of our interlocked hands as i look over his features. i snuggle further into him on the bed waiting to feel him against me. it does hit me though that mike must know about us at this point granted my behavior in the last 24 hours on top of me laying with ricky, but i don't feel the need to care anymore. in the beginning, there was so much unsureness going through my head, but i'm confident in our relationship being like this now. i rest my head on his chest knowing that i won't be going anywhere anytime soon except that i can guarantee my moms are gonna make me go back to school tomorrow since i'm currently missing school at the moment. i think it'll be easier knowing that ricky will be resting at home. i doze off again from lack of doing anything as i hear mike take a seat again in his chair.

ricky's pov

my dad lightly shakes my shoulder waking me up, "hey how you feeling bud?" he checks. "my head feels like a brick of that even makes sense," he gives me a sympathetic look. "yeah you're gonna be feeling that for a while," he honestly tells me, "it's almost noon and the doctor says you need food in you, even though you probably aren't in the mood to eat." "no, i'm actually pretty hungry," i say. "alright, good. i'll be back in a minute," he nods to go grab a meal from the cafeteria i rightfully assume. i take in my surroundings for the first time since waking up to see nini is fully engulfing the lower half of my body. i squeeze her hand to holding it tighter to me. i can't help but adore everything about her. even when she's sleeping, she makes me nervous and cares for at the same time. i'm broken from my trance on nini's face, at the sound of my dad entering the room again. "a good thing from all of this is that you get good food while nini and i are stuck with cafeteria food," he jokes. i'd laugh if i could, but i know he knows that. he sets a plate of warm food on the empty bed space beside me. i look to see two white boxes of food that my dad was referring to for him and nini. i use my free hand to take a bite of my food and my dad sits down in the chair beside me, "speaking of nini..." my face heats with blush already knowing where's he bound to take this. i look at him with nervous eyes during his short pause. he clears his throat, "you two seem to be extra close lately." "i guess so," i respond while he responds with a pointed look. "i mean yeah," i say looking down letting out an embarrassed laugh while looking to her sleeping beside me, "were sort of... uhm," i'm not sure how to finish the sentence because we don't have a label right now. which is something that i really want, but i haven't thought about that idea until this moment. i've been so consumed with being with her and i know i want more. on top of not wanting to be a secret anymore because that was agreed on so that we could test us out. and i definitely think we can just be with each other now without having to worry about the certainty of the other person. i just hope she'd be on the same page. dad catches on to my attempt at answering, "she's good for you," he tells me glancing to her and back up to me. i feel awkward talking about this while she's quite literally sleeping on top of me, but i also don't entirely mind it. it's nice to hear my dad say that. "i really like her dad," i elaborate nudging around the food in my plate. "i hope you're able to keep her around for a long time," he tells me laughing at me, but with a serious tone. "i know, i do too."