chapter 18

general pov

friday comes soon enough and the football game ends with another win. nini grabs her bag and makes her way over to the bathroom to change into clothes for the party that night. she comes out of the bathroom to see ricky standing there. he gives her a surprising look when he sees her outfit, "where are you going after this?" she looks up to him still zipping her bag closed, "oh hey ricky," she says with a sweet smile, but he isn't smiling, "i'm going to that party." he cocks his head to the side, "i didn't know there was a party and you never go to those kind of things." "i got the impression that it was invite only when greyson asked me while we were hanging out-" he cuts me off, "greyson?" nini furrows her eyebrows, "yeah." "but it's friday. you didn't even tell me you were busy apparently." she scrunches her face the moment he says that, "oh shoot ricky. i'm so sorry i didn't even think about that." he looks really let down, "how'd you forgot. we've spent every single friday together." "i know. it just slipped my mind. there's always next friday though," she tells him with a sympathetic smile.

ricky's pov

i cannot believe that nini forgot. that is so unlike her. most people have left the stadium already, so when i hear footsteps approaching behind me i can assume it's greyson coming for nini. i know i'm right when she looks over my shoulder and smiles brightly. greyson turns to me when he gets to nini's side, "hey ricky! you coming to the party too?" that's when i look at nini who just gives me a blank stare. "yeah i am," and nini gives me a shocking look. "okay cool. who are you riding with?" he asks me. i don't know what the heck to say. "one of my friends." i internally cringe at my response. i'm gonna have to catch ej if he hasn't left yet. nini looks at me confused, "i thought you didn't know about the party?" "no i do. i just forgot for a second." i know that isn't believable, but that's all i have to go with. greyson gives me a friendly smile, "aight we'll see you there." i smile back. he puts his hand at the base of nini's back and they both start to walk away. my blood is boiling at this point. it's friday night. my night with her. and why does he think he can touch her. i immediately call ej, "yo dude, have you left yet!" i say kind of panicky. "i just got in my car. what's up?" "we're going to a party," i tell him as i walk towards the parking lot. "fine by me." i end the call and get to ej's car pretty fast. he looks to me as he shifts the car into drive, "since when does bowen wanna go to a party?" "i just do." "bro you've never been to a party like this. what's up?" i just pull out my phone and don't respond to ej. then he catches on. i don't even know how. "nini's going with greyson isn't she? i heard some of the football boys talking on their way off the field about tonight" "yeah so?" i say annoyed. "bro you're jealous!" "yeah right. i just wanna go to a party. didn't know it was a crime." then i pause, "wait why would you think i'm jealous?" "you all of a sudden wanna go to a party that nini just happens to be going to when neither of you usually do the party thing. you talk to greyson the least out of all of us. plus you've been different around nini lately. red and i have both noticed it." "look ej, i'm really not in the mood to hear this. i've already heard the same from big red. and i don't like my best friend in that way! you guys are being ridiculous. i just don't like greyson," i let out a strong sigh combing my fingers through my curls. he makes a turn into the neighborhood, "why do you hate greyson then?" i look out the window, "i don't hate him. just not a fan. not exactly sure why you guys like him so much though." he pulls up in front of the house to park and says, "he's a good guy. you're the only one who doesn't seem to agree. and you know why. you just won't admit it to yourself." he puts the car in park and i get out so fast slamming the door. he gets out quickly after me, "okay dude i didn't mean to get you upset, but don't slam my door. chill out and let's just go have a fun night." "that exactly what i plan to do."