chapter 6

nini's pov

i got ready for school and was sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast with my moms. just basic how's school conversations. i saw the time and realized that ricky would be here soon, so i went on out to the driveway to start the car. not even a minute later ricky hops in the car, then we head off to school. i go through my first 2 classes of the day which we pretty average and boring. it's not third period, government, i take my usual seat next to ricky and pull out my book. ricky and i are just talking about his skateboarding. he's been practicing a lot for a skate competition he has coming up. out of the corner of my eye i catch a glimpse of greyson walking through the door. i do a small wave to signal him over to the empty desk on the other side of me. ricky stops mid sentence and just goes on his phone. so i take it he's done talking to me for now? anyways, i immediately remember to ask greyson about his talk with coach he had before school, "so... what did the football coach have to say to you this morning?" i already have a feeling he did good enough to make the team. he just gives a shy smile and says, "well... i actually made the team. he made me a starter and i took the place of the previous quarterback." "oh my gosh no way. that's awesome! i had no idea you would be that good at football to be quarterback after one practice in front of coach," i tell him smiling the whole time. "yeah i've been playing football since i was 8. i'm just worried that the guy who was the quarterback is not going to want to get along with me at all," he tells me as his smiles fades. i turn to my opposite side where ricky is sitting staring at his phone, "ricky who was our quarterback for this season?" without looking up he replies, "i dunno. probably was jake wheeler." that's when i turn back to greyson, "oh if it was jake's spot you took you should be fine. you earned that spot and besides he's nice. if anything he might just be bummed out for a while. he smiles back at me and that's the end of our conversation due to the teacher closing the door for class to start.

general pov

the bell rings for fourth period. ricky stands up and looks at nini to walk her to her class like they always do, "see you at lunch ricky." she says as she turns to greyson while he finished gathering his things. "oh okay," ricky responds walking away fast out the door, so he wouldn't be stuck behind them in the hall. he wondered if might've forgotten that he walks her to class, but that's impossible because he's walked her to that class every single day since the school year started. nini makes the decision to walk with greyson to give her a couple minutes to make sure his first day on his own is going smoothly. his fourth period is also on the way to hers.

ricky's pov

i walk quickly to my class after government just a little annoyed. it's like this guy has been here for less than 2 days and thinks that he can be her best friend. walking with her to class and interrupting my conversations with nini. she's my best friend and doesn't need him too. i pull out my phone to send nini a text, "can we do something today? i wanna do something." i got a text back not even a minute later, "yep sounds good. whatcha wanna do?" i don't actually know yet, i continue, 'idk. you have any ideas?" "um no😂. you're the one who asked to hang out weirdo." that brought a smile to my face, "we can go to the skatepark," i tell her. she texts back immediately saying, "you sure you got the right text coversation ricky😂 i think you're meaning to text big red." i'm trying to contain my laugh because i'm in class, "yes i have the right text conversation. i'm gonna give you a skateboarding lesson😁" the text bubbles from her started and then stopped until her text came through, "yeah you're real funny. last time we did that i almost fell, so i quit. ask big red to go with you," "yeah 'almost'. please i want something to do. you made me learn how to play your ukulele that one time. so you have to go to the skatepark with me!" "😑" is all she sends back. "i'll take that as a yes," and i return to paying attention to the teacher.

nini's pov

i head off to lunch walking greyson like the day before. "so now have you made any friends," i ask him with a nudge. "actually there's guys from football in that english class and we started a group project together," he tells me. we continue talking for a little until we reach the cafeteria. we follow the same routine as we drop our bags and go get food with a quick greeting to our friends.

general pov

all of them sit eating their lunches together when nini speaks up, "oh i forgot to say this, greyson made the football team!" she says turning his direction. they all congratulate him. gina chimes in, "that means nini and i will get to cheer you on at the games! what position do you play?" greyson smiles are her cheer comment and says, "coach made me the quarterback actually," he says shyly because this is a big thing. being the new kid and having the most noticed position on the team. ej says, "bro no way are you that good. great job for real. we're all definitely going to the game next friday." ricky sat pretty plainly all of lunch until nini asked, "are you gonna skate home and i pick you up to go to the skatepark? or are you just gonna come to my cheer practice after you go to basketball?" "i think i'll just head over to you at the field after i get done with basketball like yesterday," he tells her shoving the last of his sandwich in his mouth. the rest of the school day go by as normal at east high.