Chapter 79: Bargaining Heartbeat

Fire Temple

A great roar filled the air behind them and Thorn reached out a hand to stop those behind him from moving forward, freezing in place.

"Quiet." He cocked his head, tuning in to the sounds behind and above him. The roar came again. His face fell. "No, no... You stupid idiot, you didn't..." A groaning sigh. "Oh, great... Why did you have to transform!? You just turned the whole damned Fire against you with that little stunt –" he tilted his head back at the ceiling, of which the room they were in was open to the sky "– good job, little worm, great work! You've doomed us both!" Anger tore into his face and he turned to his children, "Move!" grabbing them forward and building their pace into a full-fledged run.

Elena glanced at him, keeping up pace relatively well but panting. "So..." Several heavy breaths. "What was that about?"

He focused ahead of him, turning right at the next corner and speeding down the next hall. "What?"

"The... Why are we running?"

"Because Svorn's transformed into a giant snake and is coming after us."

She halted immediately, just staring at him. "What!?"

Realising she was no longer at his side, Thorn stopped and turned around, sprinting to her. "What are you doing!? We need to keep running or he'll catch us!"

She refused to move, just staring at him. "No, you're going to explain what's happening right now."

He rolled his eyes, sighing and speaking fast. "Svorn can physically transform into a water-lizard about half my full dragon sized. I don't know why. I don't know how. He can just do it. Obviously, it's not a normal thing so not many people know about it. It's very dangerous and he'd be using it to come after us. Now, move!"

He took off and she followed.

He flew by, catching up with his children in a few seconds whilst she lagged behind.

She raised a hand. "Wait, wait, Thorn, I can't move that fast!"

Another sigh and he slowed down enough to jog beside her. He reached out a hand, pulling her up on his shoulder and moving around the next bend.

She gasped, hitting his back with one hand whilst desperately clutching what remained of his shirt with the other. "What are you doing!? Put me down!"

"You're too slow."

She swallowed, attempting to wrap her hands around something to keep balance, muttering to herself. "Why are you so... thick?" She pressed her head close to his skin, gritting her teeth. "Please don't kill me."

He sped faster. "I wasn't planning to."

Another roar came from behind them. Thorn swore to himself, moving ahead of his children and turning the next corner.

Another few seconds.

His legs pounded faster.

And he shot into the largest room yet by far.

The exact centre of the Temple. The roofless interconnection of most of the secret passageways in the castle.

Thorn groaned, beginning his run along the blank floor to one of the many passages on the other side.

His legs beat faster.

His heart quickened.

If they got trapped in here-