Chapter 39: A... date? Kill me now

Fire Capital

The air was heavy and thick with smoke, yet sweet to those of Fire. Sound brushed its way throughout the halls, entering and existing each room like a ghost, pulsing like a drum. Although the Fire Capital appeared like a grave to Svorn, at this moment, when informality perpetrated the building, it became a place one could stand.

Lord Delro, changed out of his formal gear and now in something a bit more acceptable, sat down next to him. "How are you feeling about all this?"

Svorn swivelled his head, scowling. "Well," He started. "I have a few issues. One: why are we meeting in the Fire Capital instead of Lord Endis'? It's nonsensical!"

Delro shifted his shoulders, manoeuvring himself so he could see and communicate with Svorn easier. His tongue flicked out of his mouth and brushed along his lips, considering his words carefully before they escaped him. "It was... imperative we met in the Capital instead of at Endis' as... you don't tend to handle these meetings as well as you would have thought and we don't want to upset or form any disjointed relationships between you, our sovereign, and Endis, one of our greatest military suppliers."

Svorn frowned but accepted his experience. "Fair." He sat back, leaning against the solid wall behind him and looking into the empty space in front of him. "And two: I hate this. I hate all of this. I hate these stupid, idiotic circumstances and I hate these disgusting laws. I hate it."

Delro nodded and smiled, sitting back. "Of course. Your brother did as well, you know. When you say things like that, you start to sound just like him."

Svorn's eyes flared, his jaw clenched. "Don't you dare compare me to that mongrel."

"Then he took off with Eliza and did exactly what you want to do. It's almost funny how much you two parallel each other." He turned to face Svorn, saw the glaring light in his gaze and smiled. "Especially when you make that face."

Svorn swallowed, diminishing his anger. "Do you hate us?" He turned back to him. "For killing mum and dad, I mean."

Delro chuckled. "Of course not. They were the ones who allowed themselves to be killed by you." He paused. "I don't hate you. I don't hold a grudge. But if I saw your brother and you being punished for it, I wouldn't step in and stop it." He winked. "Enough of that now. You have a date!" He stood up and held out his hand.

Svorn groaned. "Not one that I wanted or instigated. Can't I just stay here?"

Delro leaned down and grabbed his hands, pulling him roughly to his feet. "Now what would be the point in that? She's supposed to be beautiful... she might be lovely! You never know."

Svorn groaned again before walking away, down one of the hallways. Beautiful and intricate designs decorated the walls, creating a delicate display that seemed more bright and cheerful than previously. The gold shone, bouncing from one mantle to the other as fire twisted in-between the cracks. He could almost forget he was inside a building regularly crowded with Fire's most dangerous minds.

The hallway opened up and huge, magnificent doors stood before him. The light from the candles lining the hallway glinted off their polished surface, throwing flecks of light spinning around in thousands of pieces. He sighed, placing his hands on the doors. His lungs filled and emptied before he finally pushed his hands out and the doors gracefully opened.

The large room before him was filled with magnificent windows and landscape paintings that created a light, bright feeling in Svorn. At the far end of the room, a group of people gathered and cheerfully conversed. Lounges, couches and other seats formed a semicircle around them and became a cage enclosing them. A head of hair could be seen on one of the couches, with a silver band framing and pulling back the hair into a magnificent circling twirl.