Chapter 8: Scolding

Fire Temple

The guard just stood there in silence, staring at the floor. She could feel the tension in the air, she could feel the angry eyes directed at her and didn't dare look up. This was bad. She couldn't leave until he told her. She didn't want to die. She didn't want him to kill her. She didn't know who the woman behind the king was, but she desperately hoped the king would be unwilling to show the woman any major violence. 

She was going to die.

This was it. This was the end for her. She was finished.

The king moved slightly. She could sense it. Then he spoke. "The prisoner was maximum security. What happened to all the guards?"

She swallowed. "Most of them have either been killed or are still trying to capture him. There are several still guarding their posts, my lord."

The voice again. "Use whatever you have to. Capture him and put him back in the Fire Prison."

A small sound came from the woman behind the king, but that was all.

"That is an order that will have consequences if it's not fulfilled. Relay that. And let the captain know that I will have his neck if I have to come down myself." A pause. "Go."

The guard bowed again and hurried out of the room, pausing against the wall outside and calming her breathing.

That was the Fire Lord? 

She'd only heard rumours about him... and she didn't expect him to be like... that... He was... terrifying... 

And her head... it pounded. She couldn't think straight. She'd been a moment away from activating her abilities. But if she did, she feared what would've happened.

She was new.

The job wasn't supposed to be like this.

She was told it was easy. She got into the castle, she got some of the extra luxury money that came with it. She got to feed her family and bump up her status, and after a few years, she would retire and live a happy, healthy life. Settle down. Become a farmer or a collector or a metalsmith or maybe weave. But she would be alive.

If she could stick it out, maybe...

Follow all the rules...

Maybe get a job guarding an easier area...

She didn't think the cells would ever be in use... And she was... having just watched so many of her comrades die from a single prisoner and almost die herself from none other than the Fire Lord...

What had she gotten herself into...

***

"Svorn."

He swallowed and looked down. "You should leave."

"Svorn?"

He walked towards the door, "The guards will lead you out a safe way. I'll call for you again soon."

"Svorn!"

He ignored her.

She rushed forward and grabbed his arm, stopping him. "You're not brushing me off again, okay?! I'm not just going to leave because you tell me to – we're going to sit down and talk!"

He looked at her. "About what?"

Her mouth opened slightly and an exasperated sound slipped out before she pressed her lips together and spoke. "I don't know, maybe the fact that you're using the 'Fire Prison' for the first time in your life!? That you're keeping a prisoner here when you specifically promised you would never, ever do the same thing your father did!? That you've kept this from me, again, for who knows how long; and that there's a dangerous prisoner roaming the castle, and you're probably just going to walk right into the mess without a second thought?!"