Chapter 69: Rav and The Beast

Fire Temple Arena

Mouth opening, the beast's sharp teeth glared down at him, followed by its glowing eyes growing redder by the second. A fierce heat poured off it, radiating through Rav's skin and shrivelling the edges in its intensity.

It blinked and then it disappeared. A second. A chance. A spot. Where was it? Black. A pounding wave slammed into him, smashing him to ground.

He gasped, hearing a crack in his back as he collapsed on his side. Heaving, he struggled, hauling himself in a seated position where his body bent, trying to rejuvenate itself.

Where was the beast? His eyes flickered, tracking the arena as he spotted it, staring at him with cocked head several metres away. At his eye contact, it hissed at him, backing away slightly.

All thoughts that the Fire Lord would keep him alive, escaped him. The Fire Lord had given him rules, but he could give no advice nor step in to help or he would break the rules. Rav had no choice but to fight, no choice but to kill, no choice but to find a way to win the fight. And that was it. If he died in the arena, it would be his own fault.

Flicking over the beast once more, Rav analysed all he knew about it, attempting to formulate some way he could win.

The creature was fast, it emanated intense heat, it was so strong that if it hit him, he was instantly put out of commission for several seconds. It seemed to be wary though – it was smart. It wouldn't attack him unless he moved, but the instant he moved, it could attack him in an instant and he would be unable to retaliate. Its sharp teeth looked like it could rip him in two instantly but it had gone to knock him down, not kill him, meaning it either liked toying with its enemies, was bred for entertainment, or was not a predator but instead prey. With the cautiousness it displayed, he doubted the first was the case and as the Fire Lord had referred to it as a wild animal, the second was almost impossible, so the third looked to be the likely answer. It was prey. He frowned, time to test a theory.

Inching to a standing position, he lifted his foot slightly, pressing it in front of him. The beast growled, moving forward with determined motions. Not a born prey, a developed one.

He stepped back, turning to the side and taking a step, the same distance away from the beast. The beast merely watched him, moving in equal synchronicity, keeping the same distance between them. Strange.

He halted, swivelling around. A single step towards the weapons and the beast had disappeared. Dropping to the floor, Rav rolled to the side before pushing himself into an arc through air and dropping onto his feet. The beast stood in front of him, growling and hissing as its fiery eyes grew and diminished.

It recognised weapons as being dangerous. It knew what they were. Yet, it didn't react the same when he came towards it without weapons. It was clear what their developed predators were. Humans. Not humans by themselves though. Rav discerned that 'Norwhil' were beasts the Fire residents hunted for without their abilities, most likely for sport or proving of strength. Either that or the beast was immune to Fire abilities.

He smiled. He could use that. But first... A glance towards the pile of weapons. He should find a way to get to the weapons without being killed.

Stepping back, he reached out his arms, curling his body slightly and placing a twisted image on his face. Lowering his jaw, he took a deep breath, lifting is soft palate and pressing air into his diaphragm. Then, in a sudden burst, he released all the air in a fearsome growling bark, stepping forward.

Occasionally his father had his train against large Ice beasts – in safe environments, of course – so his mind slipped back to his movements with them. When facing a predator forced prey, he had to make sure it never saw him as prey but always the greater predator. That way, it would be more cautious, he would be able to move a bit without it attacking, and he had a chance to direct the fight. As Thorn had always told him: control is key on a battlefield.