Chapter 76: Panic

Fire Temple Arena

Svorn's eyes widened, mouth moving in slow, minute patterns as breathy murmuring surrounded the air in panic.

They were gone.

They were gone.

They were gone.

And if they were gone, he had nothing to leverage. Thorn wouldn't speak.

And if Thorn wouldn't speak...

He needed to get the children back. He needed...

His eyes shuddered, frantically scanning the arena, peering desperately through the smoke for the possibility of seeing something. Anything.

His breath quickened.

His shaking hands pushed him to his feet as he pressed them against one another, attempting to brush off dirt yet achieving nothing. His eyes opened and closed, face contorting with each movement as his head shot to the side and back again.

They had to be somewhere.

They couldn't just disappear completely, they had to be...

He stepped forward, wary, trembling, his eyes finally focused on a single place.

Another step. There they were. They must be. The door was open.

How was that possible?

They must have received help.

Another step. He was moving father now, dragging one foot forward and then the next and then the next. He was picking up speed. His hands dropped to his sides as his head tilted slightly and he ran.

They were there.

His last hope.

The last possible chance he had at an escape.

The last possible chance he had at a saviour, a serenity, a release.

Any release.

Any escape.

The saviour of everything he loved and... and...

He reached out a hand, striking the earth harder and harder as he ran towards them.

Pain.

Pain.

Pain.

He was on the ground, on the earth, just past the middle of the arena, staring at the smoky sky. Pain painted his side, a wrenching strike that ripped his body in two.

He gasped, his body lurching in on itself as a splattering of red blood landed on the earth beside him. His moth tasted of metal.

Movement resumed in his side, crawling beneath his skin through his veins, the black liquid climbing up him. No, no, no, no, no, no, no... No, this wasn't happening – this couldn't happen... Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop...

He writhed, clawing at the earth, coughing as he attempted to climb to his feet.

Another strike of pain lanced up his side and he collapsed on the earth once again. Something had knocked him over. Twice. Something was still standing above him. Something was there – something that would hinder his desperate desire to find his salvation.

His gasped shooting a spattering of air and blood from his mouth, the black travelling further. Clutching the battered earth, he pulled himself around enough for his eyes to be able to focus on what was above.