Chapter 70: Ebb and It

Fire Temple Arena

Watching as Rav ran in beside her and scurried to a corner, Ebb shook herself, taking deep breaths in preparation for her fight. With eyes closed, she considered what her fight would be, how she would face it.

If that was the level of Rav's fight, she could only assume all their fights would be of equal strength, of similar power, meaning they wouldn't give her the same beast. If they did, she knew how to defeat it – Rav did, and she had been watching. Of course, she didn't have the same fighting prowess as her eldest brother and she wasn't as fast as Alec, but she was well versed in determination, hard work and predictability. Now she knew the beast's weaknesses, she defeat it.

Shaking her head, she cleared her thoughts as a voice rang through the air. The Fire Lord's. "Let's welcome Ebona Flame!"

She ran out, waving out to the onlookers as they cheered her on. Plastering a smile on her face, she reached the centre of the space and waited as the floor began to drop. She had performed in Ice on many occasions. Never fighting, but she was used to standing in front of crowd and delivering characters here and there; she assumed the area would be no different. If it was entertainment they wanted, it was entertainment she would give.

The Fire Lord's voice echoed around the arena once more. "Norwhils will not be brought into this fight, but don't be disappointed! We all like variety, don't we? There's another creature about to join the fray!"

The floor rumbled as it reach the bottom once more and gates from another side of the arena began to open. Darkness shrouded a small creature hopping around the middle of the cell, but when the gates began to open, it immediately rushed to the open air, only to be caught and pulled back by a heavy chain around its neck.

Ebb frowned. What?

"That's right everyone! We have ourselves a Cordin!"

Heat and light welled up within the creature as its mouth opened wide and a burst of flames erupted from its mouth. Smoke billowed in the air, consuming the form.

Once more, the Fire Lord's voice resonated around the stage. "I assume you know the rules, Ebona? They remain the same. The Cordin may not be as difficult as the Norwhil to defeat, but it will still be a tough battle. Due to the severity of the situation and your age, the Cordin will remain chained for the entirety of the match. Does anyone object to this?"

A hush fell over the previously inflated cries from the crowd and Ebb frown deepened. What was happening?

"No objections? Good. Now we have already started doing this, but may I remind you, throughout this match we as the audience must stay silent."

Not a word. This appeared to be a commonly fought animal. The Fire population knew how to react.

Ebb coughed, leaning forward and covering her mouth as she began to feel the crippling density of smoke in the air. As she attempted to cover and quieten her coughing, to no avail, her stinging eyes flickered around her. Grey. Grey. Matter. Grey. Grey. Dirt. She could see nothing.

Why did the crowd need to be quiet? Was sound in the equation here? Did it search her location by sound or something? Should she stay silent? Could it sense her heartbeat? Could it only hear and not access any of the other senses? If so, they would be a great benefit on her behalf, however, with all the smoke, hearing seemed to be the only thing she could do as well.

If so, before the match had even started, she had been placed at a disadvantage.

And then she discovered the reasoning behind the audience's silence. Whispers, moans, rants, quiet yet intense started all around her, echoing from every direction. She recognised not a single voice, yet it flowed and ebbed, sparking her hearing into a panicked flurry. She was overwhelmed. Nothing. She could understand nothing. Her senses were in disarray.