Chapter 56: Contagiously Putrid, Utterly Vicious, and Vile - II

[Continuation of last chapter - Enjoy! (No need for warning. You're safe!)]

Fire Temple

"Where...? How...?" Thorn's brows furrowed in confusion as he tried to make sense of what he was seeing. "You're going to use that?"

Moving the box slightly to the side, Elena looked towards the wound at Svorn's side. "Yes."

"But it takes-"

"I know what it does." She looked at Thorn, seeing the worry in his eyes before turning back to the wound. "But we have no choice. It's either this or face even worse options. He's taken it before; he can handle it – he's good at faking it." She smiled grimly and nodded towards his hand. "Would you be able to move your hand slightly; I have to get to his wound."

Thorn moved his hand to the side, allowing his brother's wound to be on full display. "Didn't he say the thing healed his wound the instant it opened or something?"

She grimaced. "Yes, but only internally. The outside of the wound is left open – that's why I had to heal him so much..." Placing her hand over the wound, she closed her eyes, concentrating as her hand glowed red and orange, a soft light emanating from it. A pause. Then, "Was Svorn telling the truth? Did you actually place the 'thing' he mentioned, inside of when you two fought?"

Thorn paused, uncertainty flashing across his eyes. "No, I didn't. I have no idea why he said that, because I don't remember ever placing something in him – let alone something that would cause him this much pain, I would never want to do that... Well, at least, when I came back, I didn't want to. I don't even know what 'thing' he's talking about..." Another pause. He looked down, a soft, sad voice coming through. "I'm sorry you had to hear what you did earlier, I... I wasn't who I am today. I used to be a very different, harsher person and... Well, there's nothing I could say that would excuse me from my crimes, but he wasn't the only one going through difficult times back then... I am truly sorry, and I know there's no way either of you could forgive me, but I plan to-"

"Save it.' Elena smiled, raising her hand from Svorn's side and reaching for the box again. "For now, you can help me with this – I don't have enough energy left to fill this thing." She lifted one of the iothials out, handing it delicately over to Thorn. "Can you please use some of your energy and ability to fill this up?"

He smiled, palming it and closing his eyes. "Sure. My ability's been pretty dormant for a little while, so it'll be good to use a little bit of it on something."

The blue light of the iothial grew larger and larger, growing in volume as more and more power was poured into it. Expanding, fading, swirling lights flew out from it, enveloping it in an array of glowing lights, spotted stars, beauty and wonder.

Thorn opened his eyes as the expansion slowed down to nil. "Is this big enough?"

She smiled, taking it from him. "Yes, thank you, that should suffice."

Opening Svorn's mouth with one hand, she pressed the ball of light in, watching as it went down his throat, grimacing as she propped him up, his head lolling to the side. Blue light shot from his side, unfurling into swashes like flower petals as the dark died down, slowly sweeping back into itself, retracting from his veins until it returned to a ball of blackness pulsing in his side.

His breaths became less laboured, drawing into a regular breathing pattern as he cautiously opened his eyes, drawing his hands up to his chest, refusing to meet Thorn's eyes. Pushing himself up slowly, and waving away all Thorn's offers to help, he sat, finally looking at his brother. "Will you give me the potion? ...Please... Thorn, please...?"