Chapter 43: A Shaky Conversation

Fire: South-Western Central State (SWC) – Lord Delro's Base

A great silence resounded throughout the room, consuming all sparks of joy and filling it with intense tension. The three members of the Fire Council faced each other with incredible stillness, awaiting the others' moves.

Finally, Lord Delro spoke, "Right, shall we get started?"

Again, silence as the two most powerful men in all of Fire eyed each other off in extreme distaste. Slowly, the Fire Lord's mouth crept up as he attempted a half-hearted smile.

"Well..." he spoke, trying not to wince with each word. "You wanted to speak to me about something?"

Lord Fawtor brought up his hands and clasped them together in a form of acceptance and continual allowance of the Fire Lord's presence. "Yes, I did... Actually, no. What do you think I'm going to say, Svorn?"

The Fire Lord sat back, brushing his dark hair behind him and crossing one leg over the other. "Don't take that tone with me, Fawtor. I am no longer a child to follow your every whim, nor do I need to babied or disrespected to make you feel more superior. I AM your better, I AM the Fire Lord and therefore should be treated as such. And... please refrain from using my name so generally when we're discussing political qualms or the like. However, to answer your question, no. I have no idea what is taking place in that misguided, twisted mind of yours."

Fawtor's eyes crinkled and he sat back, imitating the Fire Lord's stance. "Of course." He looked to the side, placing his hand out for a servant to place a drink in it. "The matter I wish to discuss is of great concern to the whole of Fire."

"Oh? That serious?"

Fawtor raised an eyebrow. "Huh... You know what I'm about to say, don't you?"

This time, the Fire Lord reached for a glass of water, picking it up and swirling it before cocking his head at Fawtor and saying, "Not at all. Fire away."

"Why is your brother captive in the Fire Temple? Along with his children?"

The Fire Lord paused, before quickly resuming, drinking some of the water and looking at the glass. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Fawtor smiled. "Haha! Very funny." Flinging his hand out, a servant's ability activated.

Out of the servant's back, ropes of fire grew, flinging towards the Fire Lord and pressing against his skin. The servant screamed in pain, collapsing on the floor, panting.

The Fire Lord's skin crackled, as he raised a hand to his head, picking up the fiery tendril and placing it beside him. The other tendrils, however, still crackled against his skin as waves of heat crept off him.

Delro moved forward, placing a hand on Fawtor's. "Please don't harm my servants. It doesn't place me in a good position..."

Fawtor sighed, lowering his hand and allowing the servant's ability to creep back into them. He stared at the servant for a second. "I didn't know the servant would have an ability that would hurt them when it activated... That's a pretty useless ability. Why do you hire servants like that, Delro?"

Lord Delro cleared his throat, eyes flicking away, before drawing back and opening his arms. "Let's resume."

Red marks covered the Fire Lord's body wherever the tendril had laid, yet not once had he winced. Instead, he merely smiled and said, "Yes, let's."

Lord Fawtor leaned forward, "You mind explaining to me why my spies discovered both Thorn and his children in your care?"

"I captured them, obviously."