Chapter 63: Prelude of Battle

Fire Temple

Fire rippled around him as heat radiated from the walls. His hands shook, beating in time with the cluttering rhythm of his heart as he hunched, seated on the floor, eyes closed. A deep breath in and out. He clutched the sides of his head. The pulsing ring in his ears, slamming fists into him, fighting him. His side ached.

"My lord."

Kicks, struggling, a battle inside him.

"My lord?"

Fire, raging up his side and swirling inside his chest as a knot formed in his throat.

A soft hand rested on his shoulder. "Svorn."

He struck it away, eyes jerking wide open. "Don't touch me!" His chin raised and he stared at the man in front of him, drawing his hand back to his side. "Sorry." He pushed himself to his feet, breathing deeply and lifting a half-hearted smile, hand brushing through his tangled hair, pulling longs strands away from his face and allowing an older, more refined persona to sweep through. "How close are we to being ready, Delro?"

Lord Delro smiled, "Not too long. Almost everyone's here and tension is building in the air. I'd say perhaps an hour before the festivities can start and then, of course, the games. Maybe it's time to bring the prisoners out – I know you want them to be the highlights, but it might be good to get them ready."

Svorn nodded, wrapping his hands around his arms. "You're right, as always."

Brow creasing, Delro once again placed a hand on Svorn's shoulder. "Are you alright? I'm your friend, remember, you can tell me anything."

He shrugged off the hand, "Nothing to worry about."

"Is it the Council members or is it your brother?" Gaining no reply, Delro stepped away. "If you want to talk, I'll be here for you. But just know, this is a risky move – if you step one foot out, you will have a pack of hungry wolves at your throat – so, take precautions, stay alert, you can't rely on your guards to protect you."

Svorn grimaced, drawing himself up to his full height as he drew in emotions for the events ahead. "Will you be there ready with everything?"

He raised a brow. "Of course. I'll be in the stadium, prepared to access my ability when the time comes. I know what you need, we've been through this."

Svorn straightened his clothes, smoothing out the creases and drawing a large overcoat from the floor, purple and red, glittering with elegance and prestige. "Who's not here yet?"

"Only your uncle, Lord Fawtor. Late as usual, waiting to appear more important no doubt."

His eyes glinted. "Please don't call him that. I don't need any more reminders of my family's despicable nature."

Delro's eyes narrowed. "I'm sure your mum and dad would be thrilled at your utter disregard of their accomplishments."

He scoffed. "I'm sure they would. Good thing they're not here to punish me for it." Ignoring Delro's glare, he slipped his arms through the long sleeves, tugging the jacket over him and fixing up the collar before starting on the buttons. "Anyone cancelled?"

"None of the Council States. Only the South-Eastern State – they said they would support you, of course, you need only give instructions."

Svorn sighed. "As dedicated as always."

"Oh," Delro crossed his arms. "Also, the North-Eastern State didn't come... what with one of their members being the son of a Council member, they didn't want to put extra strain on the relationship. They will support you though, they always do."