Chapter 60: Drunken Laughter

Pale Glass

"So, this is the tavern?"

The two stood staring out at the front door to a small tavern, seemingly held up by small poles and old wood. Laughter and cries could be heard within, echoing through the spaces and reaching out through the small cracks.

Eliza frowned. "Certainly smaller than I expected..."

Bob raised a brow, placing his hands in his pockets. "Not every place in Ice is as grand as Fire. We don't shove time and effort into making ourselves appear greater than we are."

"I feel like that was a jab at Fire."

He chuckled. "It very much was." Raising a hand, he indicated towards the entrance, bowing slightly. "Shall we continue?" She strode past him, a hand placed on the doorhandle, about to open when a hand was placed on her shoulder. A voice then spoke up. "Maybe you should pull this" – he raised her hood over her head – "up here, so we don't have any awkward mishaps..."

She frowned. "What mishaps?"

Looking to the side, he twisted his hands, attempting to explain in a way that wouldn't offend her yet make her understand. "You know... taverns are usually full of a lot of drunk people... and, you know... guys... So, maybe it would be best to..." He scratched his head.

It was her turn to raise an eyebrow. "To conceal the fact that I'm a woman?"

He nodded, hand over mouth. "Yeah... yeah, that... and also, your..." He glanced to the side.

She frowned. "But I'm not wearing anything particularly wealthy, or anything that looks good. I dressed down – that's what you said."

He turned her back towards the door, hand on the handle. "You look good in everything. Just stay back and look mysterious, I'll take it from here."

She rolled her eyes, mumbling. "I lived in Fire practically my whole life, I've seen my fair share of rough, I know how to handle myself without using my ability."

He looked back at her. "I can hear you; you know. Just, be mysterious and keep your voice down. If you have to speak, indicate to me and I'll imitate someone, placing the voice in your direction." The door opened and Bob walked inside, Eliza directly behind him.

The tavern was a mess. That was the first thing that sprung to Eliza's mind. Food lay everywhere, beer and other alcoholic drinks waved about tables, spilling on floors, chants and cheers came from every direction. At the corner of the room, a small band played, encouraging several near them to join in with the singing as they riled their audience into a frenzied manic. Partners twirled around on tabletops, wide skirts and floral tops swirling out around them. Feet tapped, mouths parted with the drinks and competitions sparked every which way. Abilities were thrown around the room as 'waiters' and 'waitresses' danced passed performing acrobatic acts and passing food around the room. The only relief from the madness were the several people passed out on tables and small groups and duos around the edges of the room, deep in conversation.

Eliza's eyes widened as she grimaced, taken back with the sight. Fire had never been this crazy, places like these had never existed in Fire for it required people to drop their guards and perform manic feats that would potentially be remembered and rumoured for years to come. If something such as this had ever existed in Fire, it would have become a place of assassination, of killing, of buying and selling, of manipulation and advantageous moves.

And so, one may say such a place as this might in fact be beautiful to a former resident of Fire. However, the sheer absence of law and order not only created beauty, but more obviously destroyed as Eliza witnessed attempts of manipulation, the sleight of hand steals and the utter amount of insults and fights thrown around the room. It was a moss pit.