Chapter 51: Argumentative Struggle

Ice: Criminal Corps

He blinked, confusion crossing his face. "What do you mean?"

She smiled. "Exactly what I said: No. I'm not helping you..."

"Why?" He stood, hands desperately trying to make sense of what he'd just heard. "You realise that if you don't join us, you will be putting yourself in even greater risk!? We cannot win this war without your help – we'll all be killed!" Frantically reaching for something to prove the danger, his mind skipped to the circumstances previously taking place – to Eliza and Thorn, and the strange anomalies that followed them. "Look, there's a way for Fire to get into Ice. They can come here and... kill us and-"

"Yes, I know."

He paused. "What? How... How do you know?"

A raised eyebrow. "All these years in fear that Fire could attack us... How could they if there wasn't a way to enter Ice? They're dangerous because they can cut off all our supplies, but they can only last so long on the Surface. All we'd have to do is wait them out. Yes, Fire is strong, but none of us are having a hand over the other unless someone finds a way to get into the other's home. And, unfortunately for us, Fire figured that out long ago. They're a strict, battle-orientated civilisation and we're basically the exact opposite – it would be a worry if they didn't find out before us."

Jared frowned.

Ceecee chuckled. "Don't look so shocked, I've always been a lot smarter than you." She placed her head in her hand, leaning slightly to the side to gain a more comfortable position. "So yes, I'm aware of the danger if we don't join you, but you didn't let me finish. I was going to say: no, I'm not helping you unless I make a few demands first."

He frowned. "Look, I don't think we can make any changes until I consult-"

"Well," She smirked, cocking her head. "You could always pay me with your body. It may make me change my mind, make me consider it..."

His face dropped, sparks emanating from his eyes. "What are the demands?"

A smile. "I have several, so please bear with me." She sat back, making herself comfortable. "Ok, one: I will listen to any battle plans you have and any direction you give, but ultimately my soldiers' movements will be my decision. I want to have complete control over all my army – we're only aiding you in the fight, not becoming your lackies or part of the whole Ice Kingdom thing."

Cogs whirled inside Jared head as he weighed up the pros and cons of the agreement, occasionally flicking to what Bob would say to such a concept. A hand scratching his chin and he sighed. "You're going to listen to our tacticians as well as your own?"

"Yes, I will swear to it if you need me to."

"Fine." A long, drawn-out huff. It was worth the risk.

She smiled. "Second, I want no contempt, belittling or disrespect shown towards me or my troops from your side. We are to be treated equally."

Jared bit his lip. "Well, I can't promise everyone in my army will be well-behaved, each individual has different ideas and because you're mostly made up of criminals, I suspect quite a few may act on that whether or not I tell them."

Her eyes brushed over him. "Oh, I'm not worried about anyone being well behaved – I'm sure my people will start majority of the fights against you. I just want to be sure that our abilities or any station I place my soldiers in, won't be disregarded or taken advantage on just because they're criminals. I want the rankings of our army to be the same as yours. If I have a commander placed on the field, I don't want them to be given orders by your soldiers or other commanders or treated any differently than how your commanders are treated. Do you understand?"