Everything is Going to be Okay

Liam ran his hands through his hair as my finger sketched imaginary pictures on his back. We both hated hospitals after Sarah's accident.

"Do you think he will be okay?"

Liam leaned back as I put my hand on my lap. He chewed on his bottom lip, "I don't know, Em."

I checked my phone again, looking at the time.

"It's getting late," He attempted to stand but I stopped him.

"Amy is on her way to pick me up, I called her while you were talking to the lady at the registration."

Looking up at me, "Why did you call her? I can take you home."

"We can't leave him here..."

He turned, looking down the hall, "I don't even like the guy, Emilie. I got him here, why do I have to stay?"

I placed my hand on his arm, "I also called Rebekah. Can you just stay here until she gets here...please?"

I could tell that he was uncomfortable with the idea, but he nodded in agreement as he pulled me into a hug.

"Emilie?"

Liam let go of me as Amy walked across the waiting lobby.

"Are you okay? Liam, are you okay? Do I need to call your mother?"

He shook his head, "It's okay, Mrs. Brooks. I am just waiting on a family member to get here then I am heading home."

She gave a sympatheic smile and pat Liam's shoulder before guiding me to the exit.

"Call me when you leave, okay?"

He nodded and disappeared behind the sliding doors of the ER.

I stared out the window 99% of the ride home.

"Emilie, do you want to talk about it?"

I shake my head, "No... not really."

"He seemed like such a sweet kid at dinner... I don't know who would want to hurt him."

I unlocked my phone with FaceID and opened my direct messages with Bekah. She hadn't responded to my last message asking if she had made it there.

I was pulled out of my focus when I heard Amy saying my name.

"Huh?"

"I was saying that I don't know who would want to hurt him. Do you know anything?"

I shake my head, "No."

"I don't know why you two were on that side of town.. but thank goodness you found him. Poor thing, no telling how long he had been-"

"Can we please not talk about it?"

She frowned, "I'm sorry sweetie..."

My phone started to ring as we pulled into the driveway.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Bekah and his mom are here so I am heading home."

"Any update?"

"Nope. They wouldn't tell me anything anyways. I am not family."

"How was Bekah?"

"About like me when I heard about Sarah, but worse."

Amy got out of the car, giving me some space until I was ready to come inside.

"Liam... I think I know who did it."

"Don't start with the accusations, Em."

"I'm serious...."