Prom Committee

"So," Charlotte sits down with her fuzzy pink binder, "I was thinking about signing us up for the prom committee."

Sarah and I exhange looks, "Us?"

"I'm out on that, Charles."

Charlotte rolled her eyes, "I asked you to never call me that ever again."

Shrugging, "And I asked you to stop wearing that baby stripper perfume but......"

"It smells like fresh flowers, get over yourself," Char opens the binder showing cut outs of flowers, lights, and cutlery, "What do you think, Em?"

"I think that we are juniors, and our opinions mean absolutely nothing. I suggest saving your wonderful ideas for next year."

I could tell she was disappointed, but she knew I was right.

"Besides, we don't have dates."

"Emilie does," Char pat my leg, "Does your brother ring a bell?"

"Actually," I closed her binder, returning it to her, "He hasn't asked me."

"Once again, we do not have dates. Maybe we should just have a girl's night with some pizza and hit up my mom's wine cabinet."

"You never know, Sarah, maybe Jackson will ask you."

Charlotte straightened her back, "Um, excuse me, what?"

The look on Sarah's faced changed, "Um.. about that," she bit the inside of her lip, "We haven't really talked in a few days, and Heath won't quit blowing my phone up. I don't really know what to do."

Roman walked passed up, flashing a smile.

"He is so hot, maybe I can get him to ask me," Charlotte ran her fingers through her hair, "Think I have a chance?"

"I think I can find out, I need to talk to him anyways."

I stand up, putting my bag on my shoulder. Sarah grabs my hand, "Are you sure?"

Nodding, "Yeah, I need to figure out what the hell is going on."

"Remember, go for the nuts and run as fast as you can."

The hallway was pretty much empty except for a few students, Roman had made it halfway down the hall.

"Hey!"

He turned around as I yelled for him. He smiled and waited as I jogged to catch up.

"Prime athlete material right there."

I took a moment to catch my breath, "Ha. Ha. Very funny. We need to talk."

He stared for a moment before responding, "Rebekah?"

"You tell me. Why are you talking to my boyfriend in the hallway?"

A smirk appeared, "Didn't know it was illegal to talk to my fellow students at my school."

"You know what you are doing, and I need you to stop. Please."

He licked his bottom lip, "I don't know what you are talking about."

Realizing that this conversation was pointless, I take a deep breath, "Charlotte wants you to ask her to prom, so talk to her...not me."

I turn on my heels and begin to walk away, but he yells after me, "What if I had planned on asking you?"

I laugh, "Then you are even more of a dumbass then I thought."

The bell rang and I made my way to class. Charlotte was in her seat as I walked by.

"So? Is he going to ask me?" She propped her elbows on her desk.

"I dont know, Char," I take my seat, "Maybe Grant, here, will ask you."

Grant looks up from his phone, "I will ask who, what?"

"Me," Charlotte skips to his desk, sitting on the edge, "To prom."

"Oh.. no no no," He gently pushes her off, "I don't do that shit."

"I will take you."

We all three turn to see Heath Dawson wearing a smirk.

"Excuse me?"

"My bad," He dramatically got down on one knee, "Charlotte, whatever the hell your middle name is, Jameson, will you be my date to the stupid prom?"

Grant sarcastically started clapping in slow motion, "Man, that deserved an award. How could she ever say no to that?"

Heath flashed his usual charming smile and grabbed Charlotte's hand, "I will even rent a fancy coat or something."

She looked at me for guidance, but I didn't have any to offer her.

"Fine, but I get to pick our colors."

He stood back up, spinning her in a circle, "I vote hot pink."

"Gross!" She pulled her hand away from him as our teacher made his presence known.

After the final bell, a group of us met up in the courtyard.

"How was everyone's day?" Sarah sat criss cross apple sauce with her hands in meditation position.

"Are you high?" Grant waved his hand in front of her face as we all laughed.

She swatted it away, "No, I am just trying to start up the conversation."

Liam joined the group, sitting behind me, "What did I miss?"

I fed him a chip from my bag, "Nothing important."

One of the Senior cheerleaders interuppted us, "Liam! I was assigned to be your pom pom girl for this week!"

Leaning into his ear, "Pom pom girl?"

He nodded it off, "I don't need one, but thanks."

"It's tradition," she playfully hit his arm, "I can buy you snacks for your game or massage those sore muscles."

"Honey boo boo," Sarah left her meditation position to stand face to face with her, "My brother has his own personal pom pom girl that does way more than you could ever wish or dream of doing. So I suggest you take your mini skirt and bad breath on somewhere else, got it?"

My hand quickly, but casually, covered my face as she ran off the poor pom pom girl.

Sarah turned with a smile on her face, "You're welcome."

Charlotte was grinning ear to ear as she stared at her phone.

"Hey, you!" Sarah tossed her water bottle, landing it in Char's lap.

She looked up from her screen.

"What the hell is so funny?"

Grant took a few chips from the snack pile, shoving them in his mouth, "Probably something her prom date said."

"Um, excuse me?"

Charlotte put the phone down and once again looked at me for guidance, "It was a very last minute just kind of happened thing."

Sarah attempted to smile, "Uh, okay? Who is it?"

"Yeah," Char bit her bottom lip, "About that..."

Grant crunched one more chip, "Heath Dawson."