Sarah is Getting Sick

"Break is officially over... it's time to get back to the books!"

Mr. Meyers stood at the front of the class with a whiteboard marker in his hand. I noticed that Roman was not in class, but a lot of people skipped the first day back.

Char waited for me at the classroom door as the bell rang for lunch.

"Have you heard from Roman?"

I shook my head to the side, "Not since the party, why?"

She shrugged, "It's not like him to skip out on Meyer's class..."

"I know, but I am sure he is just hanging out with some friends or something."

"Yeah, you are right," she led the way to the lockers, "What should I wear to the concert this weekend?"

I open my locker, "I could come to your house after school to help you pick something out. My mom left this morning so I am free."

She smiled, "Perfect. Have you seen Sarah?"

I felt myself frown, "Actually, I haven't."

Grant walked up to Charlotte, putting his arm around her, "Damn girl...you are fine."

She blushed, pushing his arm off of her, "Thank you... boyfriend."

He smiled as she spoke, "I like that...girlfriend."

"Gross," I roll my eyes.

"Oh I don't want to hear it," Grant put his hand in the air.

"Walk me to the cafeteria?"

Grant accepted Char's request and they walked away hand in hand.

I looked around the hallway for Liam and/or Sarah, but I didn't see either of them.

"Looking for someone?"

My body jumped as Rebekah slammed my locker door shut.

"Not you."

I turned to walk away but she stepped in front of me, "Look, I am sorry I was a bitch to you. Heath told me the truth about AJ."

My eyes rolled and I gave a sarcastic smile, "That's great."

She bit her lip, "Actually, I really want to hit AJ with a car now."

I let a small laugh out, "Thanks."

I began to walk away but she stopped me again, "Are you busy after school?"

"What?"

"Are you busy after school?"

My arms cross, "I have plans with Charlotte."

She slowly nodded, "Well if you two want to swing by the coffee shop... lattes on me."

"Thanks."

I walked into the cafeteria to see Liam sitting at a table with a few of the basketball players.

"Hey."

He turned aorund, and stood up to hug me, "Hey."

"Is Sarah here?"

Shaking his head, "No, she didn't feel well so she stayed home."

"Hm," I shrugged, "She didn't tell me that."

Charlotte left Grant sitting at their table to join our conversation, "Did you say that Sarah is sick?"

"She said she didn't feel well."

Through narrowed eyes, she looked around the cafeteria, "Sarah is never sick."

I looked at Char, "I think we should go check on her."

She nodded, "Me too."

I hugged Liam goodbye and waited on Charlotte to finish making out with Grant.

We pulled into the driveway of Sarah's house and spot her car beside the garage.

"That's weird... she always parks in the garage."

I nod, "Something is up."

We both get out and walk to the garage, peeping through the window. Charlotte saw it before I did and gasped.

"Oh my God.... is that-?"

"Jackson."

Charlotte slowly put her hand over her mouth.

"She must have swapped the d for an s in her text this morning."

Seeing Charlotte confused, I attempted to clear it up, "Sick....Swapped D for an S...."

"OHHHHHHH......ew."

I start walking back to the car but Charlotte stops me, "Where are you going?"

"Back to school."

"What? No."

"Why not? She is fine... she would kill us if she knew we were here right now."

She positioned all of her weight onto her right leg, crossing her arms. After dramatically rolling her eyes, "Fine."

My hand reaches to open the drivers side door of my car, but I stop as I hear my name.

"Emilie?"

Charlotte and I look at Sarah and Jackson standing on her front porch, "Hey! Sarah!"

"What the hell are you two doing here?"

I walked towards her, "Liam said you were getting sick... so we came to check on you-"

"Yeah," Charlotte interrupted me, "You swapped the D for an S!"

My eyes closed as I immediately regretted informing that to Char.

"Thank you for checking on me, but-"

"You aren't sick, and we see that now! We are just leaving!"

Jackson awkwardly looked around the yard and down the street avoiding conversation at all costs.

Sarah jogged to my car, catching me before I sat down, "Seriously, thank you for checking on me but you didn't have to do that."

I shake my head, "You would have done it for me... sorry I kind of interrupted whatever that was."

"We were talking."

"Mhm," I grin as I nod, "Well carry on."

She touched my arm, "Call me later?"

"How about you call me.."

She agreed as I took my seat and motioned for Charlotte to get back in the car.

After the final bell I met Charlotte in the parking lot to go back to her house.

We rummaged through her closet for what felt like hours before she sat down on the floor, "This is hopeless."

"You have a closet full of the cutest clothes ever, Char."

"We need to go shopping."

"Fine," I grabbed my bag and my jacket, "But could we stop by the Beanery for some lattes?"

A huge smile spread across her face, "You read my mind."

Shrugging, "That's kind of what best friends do."

We walked into the Beanery and I immediately spotted Bekah behind the counter. She smiled and waved.

"Are my eyes decieving me?"

I shook my head, "Nope, she apologized to me today and offered to hit AJ with a car."

"Wow... improvement."

I stepped up to the counter, "I would like-"

"A white chocolate caramel latte?"

I felt myself smile, "That sounds amazing."