Family Business

ROMAN REYALGO

"I'm serious."

She quickly stopped laughing as she stared at me, "Sarah would never agree to that," she looks around for a split second before leaning across the counter closing the distance between us in a whisper, "Did you just forget that your pimp shot at us?"

I could feel my face fall, even though I attempted to hide it, "I don't have a pimp... that man was my father."

Her eyes soften as she leans away from me, "Your father?"

I look over my shoulder at Bekah and mother as they laugh, "Yes, keep it down."

Her head shook side to side, "I don't understand."

"You don't need to, but I need you to convince Sarah to accompany me to the prom."

She crossed her arms once again, "Highly doubtful, but we will see."

I look up from the counter, meeting eyes with her but she quickly looks away, "I have customers."

Nodding, "I can take a hint-"

She scoffed, "Yeah..okay, and I can fly!"

Her eyes rolled as she disappeared into the kitchen. I returned to my table, standing by the booth.

"What?" Rebekah looked up at me as she took a bite out of her burger.

"I have to go work on this group thing, I will be home for dinner."

Mother frowns, "Okay, be careful."

I refrained from looking at Bekah, she could always tell when I was lying. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if she had one of those realizations. Father and Uncle Vince were standing on the porch smoking cigars when I arrived.

I walk past them both as I enter the house, collecting a few of my things.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?"

Vince tucked his hand in his pocket awaiting my response.

"Just grabbing a couple of things."

He gave a slight nod, "You thinkin you might not come back?"

Father joins Vince in the interrogation, "Of course he is coming back, we have work to do. Right, son?"

I felt my jaw start to go numb as I realize that I had been grinding my teeth since arriving.

"I said I would do a few things for you... then I was done."

Vince punches father's arm in laughter, "The kid thinks he is done."

My father's face grows cold, "I decide when you are done, baiat prost."  
{dumbass boy}

Vince pat father on the back, "nu mai putem avea incredere in el."
{we can no longer trust him}

Father nodded for Vince to return to the porch. Once the door shut behind him, he grabbed the collar of my shirt, spitting as he spoke, "You obey me. You work for me. You follow my rules. asta se intelege?"
{Is that understood}

I pulled my shirt from his grip, "intelege."

He pat each of my shoulders breathing strong scent of cigar in my face. I walked around him returning to my car. Vince tapped on my window, "Tonight catea mica."
{little bitch}

My foot slams the gas pedal to the floorboard, spinning tires out of the driveway. I reach the stop sign as the sun is quickly setting behind the buildings of town. I pull my phone out to call my mother, "Ma, I won't be home for supper tonight."

"Is everything okay, son?"

"Yes, ma. I just have a few things to take care of."

"Okay, be careful."

"Love you, Ma."

"dragostea mea pentru tine nu are limite, fiule."
{my love for you knows no bounds, my son.}

I closed my eyes as I sat parked at the stop sign, taking short breaths. After a moment of silence, the phone line ended. My car didn't move until a set of headlights appeared behind me. I took a left turn, driving by the diner. Emilie was beside the dumpsters struggling to break down boxes. I parked to the side and walked over to her.

"Do you need some help?"

She looked over her shoulder, but returned to punching the cardboard without a word.

"You shouldn't be outside alone at night.."

She laughed, "Why? Someone might shoot at me? Been there, done it, I have the t-shirt....oh wait, you were there too!"

I pursed my lips, taking the cardboard from her, "It wasn't my fault that you stupid fuckers followed me."

Her hip stuck out as she propped her weight onto one foot, "It wasn't my idea."

I finish breaking down the boxes and toss them into the dumpster, she crosses her arms, "Thank you..and about what you said earlier-"

My hand raised, cutting her off, "Forget about it. I will find someone else."

She frowned, "I wasn't talking about Sarah."

I nod, "I know."

Glancing at my watch I realized the time, "Shit, I have to go."

She smiled, "Thanks for the help."

Opening my car door, "Don't worry about it. See you later."

Her hand raised to wave as I left the parking lot. My instructions were simple in the text... Show up, grab the bag and get out of there as quick as possible.

The street lights were dim as I approached the junkyard on the edge of town. Dogs were barking but no human movement could be spotted. I sent my arrival text to the number Vince gave me, signaling for the drop off. Afew minutes later, a man dressed in black with a hood placed a duffle bag on the trunk of a totaled 90s model altima, then disappeared into the dark once more. I tied my bandana behind my ears and shuffled to the bag, grabbing it as fast as possible. The dogs barks became louder as I made my way back to my car.

A message from Vince flashes across the screen, "Get out now."

My tires squeal as I make a mad dash out of the yard. My side mirror catches the gate on the way out, busting it.

Father was waiting outside of the casino doors when I parked the car.

"Everthing go smoothly?"

"Yep," I toss the bag to his feet, "I'm done."

He smirked.

"No, not just tonight. I'm done with all of it. I agreed to help you with a few things to keep you away from my mother and bekah, but I did not agree to take on your business."

Father laughed, placing his hand on my shoulder, "This is a family business, fiule."
{son}

I shake my head, "You lost your family, Pa," I move my  shoulder allowing his arm to fall to his side, "Tonight was the last time I run for you...find another son to take your business."

He jerked me backwards as I attempt to walk away, his mouth spit in my face, "Nu te duce....sunt tatal tau."
{Do not go.. I am your father}

I wipe his spit from my cheek, "esti mort pentru mine."
{You are dead to me}

A laugh left his tongue as he pushes me to the ground, "We will see who ends up dead."