72 Seconds

My heart stops at the sound of gunfire.

Then almost immediatly after, the jeep spins out of control.

"STUPID MOTHER FUCKER!"

I look up from the floorboard to see Liam punching the steering wheel.

"BRAND NEW FUCKING TIRES!"

Grant jumps across the front seat, "We have to run, man."

Liam looks over his shoulder, "We don't have time to run."

The drivers side door swings open, and Liam throws his jacket over my head.

"What the fuck?," I knew that voice, "Get out. All of you."

"No way in hell."

Grant chimed in, "Yeah, what are you going to do? Shoot us?"

I heard a muffled voice in the background, Roman yelled in return, "I HAVE IT HANDLED."

There was silence for a few moments before the jacket was yanked off of me.

"Why are you all following me?"

Sarah answered before anyone else had the chance, "To be fair, we were looking for your skank of a sister-"

Liam threw his hand up, "Now is not the time, Sarah."

For the first time, I allowed myself to look in their direction. I met eyes with Roman.

"You too, huh?"

Liam blocked his view of me, "Don't speak to her, this was not her idea."

Roman looked over his shoulder, "I suggest you all find a way to get out of here, because I can't stall much longer."

"Who the fuck is that?" Grant cut in.

Charlotte sat up, "Yeah, and why did they shoot at us."

Roman laughed, "He didn't shoot at any of you, he doesn't miss. His aim was for the tires. Seriously, you all need to get out of here. Now."

Liam stepped out of the vehicle, Roman stopped him, "Wait in here until I get him back inside, then wait another minute or two...then scram."

He walked back to the car, leading the older man inside. We all heard the door slam shut behind them.

Sarah leaned forward, "Are we just going to leave the jeep? It's like a thirty minute DRIVE home....."

Liam nodded, "We can walk back to the square and wait it out until they leave. I have a spare tire. We will come back and change it."

I took a deep breath, "It's been 72 seconds since the door shut."

Liam stepped out of the jeep and made his way around to my door, "Come on. "

Grant helped Char and Sarah out, then we crossed between the two buildings on the right hand side.

We all took a seat on the concrete steps outside of the courthouse on the downtown strip.

"My feet and legs hurt," Charlotte sat down, rubbing her legs.

Liam sat beside me, "Are you okay?"

I nod, "Yeah, I just wish I had stayed at the diner."

Grant stood in front of us, "So what do we think was in those bags?"

The look on my face must have given him my answer.

He took a few steps back, "Not the time? Got it."

Sarah braided Charlotte's hair as she laid across her lap, "How long do we wait here?"

My phone started to ring, I pulled it out of my pocket to see the name on the screen.

You have to be kidding me....

"Hello?"

"Where are you?"

I roll my eyes, "Out, why?"

"Mom is asking where you are. I am not going to cover for you."

I let out a long sigh, "I am staying at Sarah's tonight."

"It's a school night."

"And? I am staying at Sarah's."

I looked up at Liam as he mouthed "Jackson?"

I nodded. He took the phone from my hands, "Listen, dumbass. She is staying at my house, get the fuck over it."

He ended the call and returned the phone to my hand, "You're welcome."

Charlotte sat up from Sarah's lap, "Can I just call someone to come get us?"

Grant waved his hand dismissively, "No, we are going back for the jeep."

I grab Liam's hand, whispering, "Thank God it was just your tires."

He shook his head, "Brand new tires."

We all heard squealing tires in the distance.

Liam stood, helping me up, "Grant, stay with the girls, I am going to go check the alley."

"No."

Liam looked at me with a grin, "I will be fine. Stay here."

Grant stepped between us, "I've got them. Go, and hurry up."

"NO!"

Grant held me back as Liam disappeared behind one of the abandoned buildings.

After what felt like hours, Grant's phone started vibrating.

He stepped to the side to answer it.

"Hey.....Okay, we are coming."

I stood between Charlott and Sarah holding each of their hands as we followed Grant back to the jeep.

It took a few minutes to change the spare tire before we were able to hit the road to head back home. 

Charlotte was dead asleep on Grant's left shoulder as we pulled into Liam and Sarah's driveway.

Sarah leaned up to my headrest, "Should we let her stay with us tonight?"

Liam must have overheard her, "Everyone can stay tonight. We can all set up the mattresses in the guest room and watch some movies. No one has to go home."

Grant nodded in the rear view mirror, "Thanks, man. I will carry her in."

Sarah followed Grant and Charlotte inside the house. Liam stopped me on the porch.

"Hey," he put his hand on my cheek, "I'm sorry."

"For?"

"I should have listened to you."

I wrap my arms around him, "What do you think we saw?"

He shakes his head, "I don't know, Em, but I know we weren't supposed to see it."

I pull my face off of his chest, "Do you think he will be at school tomorrow?"

"I don't know." He placed a stray strand of my hair behind my ear.

I looked deep into his eyes, and pulled him into a kiss.

He gently pushed my lips open with his and danced our tongues together. I was a completely lost in the moment.

Pulling away from me, he smiled, "We could always sneak to the garage."

I poke his chest, "Tempting, but we should go inside."

He pulled me close once more, "One of these nights, I am going to sweep you off of your feet and show you everything you have been missing."

I smirked, "I thought you have already shown me what I had been missing."

He kissed me, "There is so much more, babygirl."