Try to be Friendly

"Order up!" Beth slides a plate across the counter, and Sarah stares at me.

I hand her the plate, "Take this to table four."

"Got it," she nods her head and takes a few steps, "Which table is table four?"

I sigh pointing all the way to the far left, stopping at each table, "One... two..three..-"

"Four! Got it!"

I couldn't help but feel slightly proud as I watched her walk to table four. Beth had agreed to allowing Sarah to assist for tips. Honestly, we needed the extra set of hands.

Beth walked to my side, "When does Liam come home?"

"The end of the week."

She looked at the calender beside the register, "You can have the weekend off, I will call Trish to come in."

"Really?," I wiped the counter down as she nodded, "Thanks, Beth."

Sarah skipped back over to us, "I did it! What now?"

The front door opened and we both watched as Roman found a seat close to the door. I turn to her, "That's all you, my friend."

She rolled her eyes but grabbed the order book from the counter, and walked slowly and dramatically to his table.

I helped Beth fix a few plates before Sarah turned the corner, "He wants to talk to you."

He was scrolling on his phone when I sat down across from him, "Yes?"

Looking up, "When did Sarah start working here?"

I look over at her as she dances, pouring salt into the shakers, "She is just helping out during break."

He nodded, glancing over his shoulder, "She doesn't like me, does she?"

I laugh, shaking my head, "No one likes you...well I don't think they do anyways."

"Ouch, I see." He ruffled his hand through the front of his hair.

We sat in silence for a second, "Did you need me? I kind of have to get back to work..."

He gave an awkward smile, "Actually, I just wanted to ask a favor of you...."

"What?"

"Can you try to be friendly to Bekah? She doesn't really have any friends-"

"Because she is a bitch."

He looked up at me in shock as I spoke, "So...no?"

"Why should I be friends with her? She has been nothing but rude to me."

I waited for him to respond, but he just stared at the table in silence.

"Fine, I will try... but only because I am a nice person."

He looked up, "Thank you, Emilie. Oh and," I turned to face him as I walked away, "Can I get a coke?"

I walked behind Sarah, "Roman wants a coke."

She looked at me, "What else did he want?"

I hopped onto the stool beside the register, "He pretty much asked me to take his sister under my wing."

"For real? Hell no."

I shrugged, "I don't know.. maybe their home life is fucked up and that is why she is the way she is."

She pointed at me, "You don't act like that, and your home life is-"

I stopped her, "What is your excuse?"