Chapter Fourteen - Running in the Rain

I could be one stubborn bitch—but, apparently, so could Luca.

After packing all my things back into my suitcase and duffle bag, moved myself back upstairs to the spare bedroom next to the loft. I had decided that it was probably best to sleep separately since we now had to wait four weeks to have sex.

During the four days after our argument, I didn't see Luca once. He was gone when I woke and when I went to sleep.

The only evidence he'd been in the house were the dishes he'd leave in the sink after he drank his morning coffee or ate a late dinner. I begrudgingly washed them along with mine.

Otherwise, my routine stayed consistent.

I met with Fallon in the mornings, made myself lunch after showering, and painted or read during the afternoons.

I was miserable and completely bored out of my mind.

All I could do was think, think, and then think some more.

The only thing on my mind for those four days was Luca; how much his stubbornness annoyed me, how much I couldn't stand him for causing me to lose my job, and how much I missed him.

I wanted to punch his perfect face for making me think about him so much—and with how much I was training with Fallon, I knew I could make it hurt.

I wanted—no, needed—something else do, something to get me out of my head.

By the fourth afternoon, the thought of painting made me sick. I decided to clean with what supplies I could find, even going so far as to wash mine and Luca's sheets.

On the fifth day, however, Fallon wasn't able to meet so I slept in a bit.

I was woken up that morning by the sound of the door opening and slamming shut followed by my name being called.

"Caroliiiiinee..."

Who is that?

Dragging myself out of bed, I put on my sweatpants and began to walk down the stairs, following the high-pitched voice.

"Oh, Caaarooliiiinnnne!"

I rounded the corner at the bottom of the stairs to see someone standing in the kitchen holding several boxes that covered their face.

"Bates?" I guessed.

He turned to the side so I could see his face.

"The very one."

Bates placed the boxes down on the floor.

"Those came for you today," he said.

I walked closer to see they were from Mady. Pulling a knife from a kitchen drawer, I first opened the box on top.

My clothes were neatly folded inside, along with a note.

"Still waiting on my picture," was all it read.

I smiled before putting the note back inside the box.

"Who is it from?" Bates asked.

"My roommate, Mady."

Bates hummed.

"What's inside the boxes?" He asked, peeking inside.

"Just a few of my clothes."

"A few?" He asked, eyeing the handful of boxes around us.

Bates reached inside another box that I had just cut open and pulled out a bright purple pair of panties.