Chapter Forty - Airplanes and Automobiles

I didn't have time to let anything sink in before Luca was pulling me away.

"That was the single weirdest thing I've ever done in my life," I said, following him down the moonlit path back to the truck. "That man is not marrying us."

Luca laughed.

I turned to look behind us, seeing Norah wave. I returned her wave, Bates waving back to me as well.

"What are we doing?" I asked.

"We're going away for a few days," Luca said.

"Back to the cabin?"

He shook his head, smiling.

"Where are we going then?" I asked.

Luca turned to me.

"Am I not allowed to be spontaneous?" He asked.

I leveled a hard stare.

"The last time you did something spontaneous at midnight, I ended up being scared half to death on the floor of my patio while a stranger pinned me to the ground," I said bluntly.

Luca rolled his eyes.

"I'm never living that down, am I?"

"Not anytime soon," I assured him, causing him to laugh.

When we got to the truck, Luca opened my door for me. As I sat down, he reached around me and pulled a small box from the glove compartment.

I watched as he opened it, pulling out a few gauze pads and a bandage.

Pulling my hand towards him, he covered the bleeding cut with a gauze pad.

"Keep pressure on it," he said. "We can wrap it once it's finished bleeding."

I nodded as I gripped the gauze firmly around my finger.

Luca put the box in my lap before closing my door and walking around the truck.

"When are we leaving?" I asked him.

"Right now."

I stared between him and the clock on the truck's dashboard.

"You've been awake since four this morning," I told him. "Why don't we go home? You can get some rest, and then we'll leave in the morning?"

Luca turned to me with a lifted eyebrow.

"Why are you so concerned with my sleeping schedule?" He asked. "It's weird."

I nearly answered him before I realized he was mocking me, using the same words I had spoken only a month earlier.

"You're annoying," I told him.

He smiled as he started the truck's engine.

"Can you at least tell me how long it will take to get there?" I asked.

"So many questions," he groaned.

"So little answers," I countered.

He rolled his eyes.

"We're driving to the airport now, it will take about twenty minutes to get there. The plane ride will be about six hours, including the stop we'll make in Denver to fill up."