Chapter Twenty-Five - Pour Another Glass

I couldn't have packed my bag any quicker than I did.

I was ready to escape and not have to think about anything going on around me.

Luca was still outside on the phone when I came downstairs with my duffle bag in hand.

"Sorry, I had to give a few people a heads up that I would be gone," he told me, walking inside. "Give me a second to pack a bag and we'll leave."

I nodded as he jogged off into his bedroom.

Making myself a quick snack, I was done eating by the time Luca came back into the kitchen.

"We'll need to bring a few things to eat with us," Luca told me.

"To eat?" I asked. "Where are we going?"

"Pretty far up into the mountains," he replied. "I can make due on the river, but I'm assuming you don't want to eat fish for every meal."

I grimaced, shaking my head. I didn't have a problem eating fish, but I certainly didn't want it for breakfast.

Luca went to his garage and got a cooler that he brought back inside so we could stock up on food.

"Ready?" He asked as we loaded the last of the groceries into the cooler.

I nodded eagerly.

I carried his duffle bag for him while he carried the cooler out to his truck, my own bag over my shoulder.

As Luca walked up to lock the house door, Bates was pulling down the driveway in the bug.

"Bitch move," he yelled at Luca. "Do you know how much gas costs these days?"

Luca laughed.

Bates pulled into the garage and parked before getting out to help me put our duffle bags into the backseat of the truck.

"Here, let me help," he told me, noticing that I was struggling with one hand.

He turned to make sure Luca wasn't listening.

"You need to talk to him while you guys are away," he whispered. "This would be the perfect time to get things off your chest."

"Get what off my chest?" I asked, avoiding his eye contact.

"What we talked about the other night," Bates reminded me.

I looked over his shoulder to see Luca approaching.

"Maybe," was all I said as I closed the backdoor of the truck.

"Y'all have fun, but not too much fun," Bates said as Luca got into the truck. "You've got less than two weeks until the induction ceremony."

Luca flipped him off, making me laugh.

Bates laughed as well as he walked over to get into his Jeep.

We backed down the driveway, followed by Bates, and Luca shut the gate behind us before driving off.

As we passed through the pack border, I noticed how many guards were standing along the fence. Lincoln wasn't kidding when he said they had doubled security.

We drove for about an hour until we reached a road that was off the beaten path.

After a few minutes of a precipitous drive up the mountain, we reached even ground and took a path that led down to a cabin sitting on the side of a wide river.