Chapter Three - Autonomy Died With a Choice

Several silent hours later, we arrived back home in the dead of night.

Neither of our fathers felt comfortable with Mady and I going back to our townhouse, especially while it was unclear as to why we had caught the attention of a rival Alpha.

Not wishing to cause any more trouble than necessary, we both agreed to stay with our parents until things smoothed over.

We both returned to our townhouse to pack a bag, taking time to gather a few things. I made sure to cover my painting before carrying it out to the car where my father was waiting.

Along with paint supplies, I grabbed an extra set of pajamas and clothes for a few days. I could only hope there was a spare toothbrush at my parents' house because mine was still in Las Vegas.

I said goodbye to Mady as the two of us went our separate ways, promising to meet for coffee the next morning.

When we got home, I said goodnight to my parents and went upstairs to my old bedroom.

After what felt like an eternity of laying in the bed staring at the ceiling, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be sleeping that night. Especially since my mind was still replaying the day on a continuous loop.

I went downstairs to a dark house, not unusual since I presumed my parents had likely been sleeping for several hours at that point.

After making myself a cup of tea, I went out onto the back patio to get some fresh air.

Our back patio had a screened-in porch with a comfortable seating area where I found myself lounging on the couch that night, listening to the sound of rain falling against the roof and thunder rumbling off in the distance.

A few minutes went by while I drank my tea and listened to the storm as it gathered over my head. I could hear crickets singing and frogs bellowing as rainwater puddled in the yard, gently splashing against the grass my father had cut only a few days earlier.

I watched the sky above the trees off in the distance as lightning flashed against the dark, puffy clouds.

As the rain picked up and wind began to blow harder, I noticed that I could no longer hear the crickets and frogs. I finished drinking my tea and stood up from the couch to go back inside the house.

Just before I could turn to open the backdoor, I watched a sharp flash of lightning stretch out across the sky. In the brief moment that it illuminated my backyard, I saw a man standing on the edge of the trees... watching me.

My heart stopped.

Darkness surrounded me once again as the lightning drew back into the clouds. An eerie chill ran up my spine, sending goosebumps across my body.

Turn around! Open the door and go inside!

Despite my hand already being on the door, I couldn't muster up the strength to make my quivering fingers clench the handle and turn it.

With the adrenaline coursing through me, I felt as though I had been struck by the lightning that flashed overhead.

As the backyard was illuminated yet again, my eye was drawn to the trees once more-only to see that the figure I'd seen was no longer there.

I felt a tinge of relief before I heard the sound of puddles and mud being squished under feet.

He was walking closer towards the house.

Open the door, you idiot!

Holding my breath, I listened to the sound of footfalls coming up the wooden steps of the deck. They were slow and calculated.