Chapter Eleven - Concrete Quarters

The hot shower I took when I returned to Luca's house wasn't enough to soothe my aching body.

My muscles and joints were screaming at me. The webbed skin in between my fingers was rubbed raw by the gloves I had worn.

Good luck trying to hold a paint brush for the next few days, I told myself.

I knew that I wouldn't be able to lift my arms over my head for a week. But, despite the major soreness and discomfort, I felt satisfied. I had done something for myself and it felt rewarding.

It was this feeling of accomplishment that drove me to the kitchen for lunch instead of Luca's bed for a nap.

I cut up strips of chicken breast and sautéed them in a frying pan, then I moved on to cutting up a head of lettuce for my salad.

When I sat down at the countertop after pouring the dressing over the chicken and caeser salad that I had prepared, I heard a door open and turned to see Luca strolling in.

"Did you make lunch?" He asked, nose in the air.

I dropped the fork in my hand back down into the bowl.

"Is that the best way to get your attention? Food?"

"You could walk around naked," he suggested.

I stared at him blankly.

"Too soon," he commented to himself.

Luca walked around the island to the stovetop where extra chicken was laying on a plate.

"Can I have the rest of this?" He asked, although he was already pulling a fork and knife from the drawer.

"I don't care," I said honestly, picking my own utensils up to eat.

Luca sat down next to me with a glass of water, his plate of chicken, and a large bottle full of barbecue sauce.

"Appetizing," I said sarcastically, watching Luca pour the sauce over each piece of chicken before he ate it.

"Better than your rabbit food," he said, mouth full.

"I'm actually quite satisfied," I told him, gesturing towards my salad empty bowl.

Luca raised an eyebrow, but I pretended not to notice.

I got up from my chair and rinsed my dishes before walking towards Luca's bedroom.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"To take a nap."

"Probably a good idea."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion but I didn't press any further. The only thing I could think of was how exhausted I was.

I fell asleep almost immediately after collapsing into Luca's bed.

- - -

Waking up wasn't as easy as falling asleep.

I laid there for several minutes before finally sitting up, an action I regretted instantly.

My back was so stiff. My shoulders felt like they were locked in place and my legs were shaking as I tried to stand up from the bed.

God, I hate Fallon, I thought.

The stiffness subsided slightly as I walked through the house, eventually wandering outside where I could hear someone talking.

I stood under the breezeway, watching Luca as he paced the driveway while he talked on the phone.