Chapter Twenty-Three - Speed Demon

As it turns out, 'the bug' was was the dune buggy in Luca's garage.

A golf cart on steroids, it had oversized tires, seatbelts, and the capabilities of going "wicked fast", according to Bates.

"This is a terrible idea," Blaine said for the hundredth time as Bates helped buckle me in.

"Don't be a wiener," Bates told him, getting into the driver's seat.

Blaine sighed before getting into the backseat.

"I need a helmet," he muttered.

"No, you'll be fine," Bates assured him. "I'll be gentle."

With that, he started the engine and smashed the gas pedal, giving me whiplash as I was yanked back into the seat.

I praised God for the blessing that the seatbelt was for the next five minutes. Bates whipped in between trees and across fields like he was trying to kill us, giggling like a six-year-old boy the entire time.

Suddenly, he slammed on breaks in a spot in the middle of the forest that looked like nothing at all, sending dust flying around us.

I looked at Bates, my hair in my face and scowled.

"Where are we?"

He held a finger to his lips.

"We're so dead," Blaine whispered.

"Shut up," Bates told him.

I finally saw what they were referring to when I looked up and saw Luca stalking towards us, mad as fire itself.

"Oh shit," I mumbled.

"Bad idea, bad idea," Bates laughed nervously.

"What in the hell..." Luca said, pronouncing each syllable clearly as he approached us.

I smiled awkwardly.

"It was her idea!" Both Bates and Blaine shouted at the same time.

I grimaced.

"I'll deal with you later," he said, throwing a finger at me before turning to the boys.

"Sounds promising," I quipped, immediately regretting it.

You've been around Bates for way too long, I told myself.

I knew this because Bates laughed at my joke.

"I told you not to leave the house," Luca told Bates.

He turned to Blaine.

"I told you not to include her in this."

"I'm right here," I reminded him.

Neither Bates nor Blaine had the courage to say anything.

Luca snapped and ordered both of them out of the dune buggy, each taking the order without defiance. As soon as they were standing, Luca got into the driver's seat.

"You can walk," he told them, starting the bug and driving off.

I sat silently as Luca drove skillfully through the rest of the forest, stopping at a small, dilapidated shack on the edge of a clearing.

"Is this the Cellar?" I asked him, unbuckling.

"This is where you tell me what the hell you're trying to prove," He said, getting out of the bug.

"Trying to prove?" I repeated incredulously.

"Asking my men to defy strict orders," he clarified, walking around the front.