Chapter Thirty-Five - Incoming Call

Morning sex was everything it was cracked up to be.

Luca cuddled me into his naked chest afterwards. I could hear his rapid heart rate slowing as my ear pressed against his skin.

I looked down where my hand was resting against his torso, seeing the diamond ring.

Wiggling my finger, I watched the sparkle of the radiant-cut gem in the morning light that filtered in through the window behind the bed.

"Do you like it?" Luca asked me, his voice drowsy and deep. Those were the first words he'd spoken that morning, despite the fact that we'd been awake for several minutes.

I looked up to him and smiled, nodding my head before looking back at the ring.

"It's mesmerizing," I admitted.

"Now you know how I feel when I look at you."

I poked his abs at the cheesy comment, making him chuckle.

Just before he could say something else, we both heard his phone vibrating on the nightstand where it laid. He turned over to look at the screen, putting the phone back down unanswered.

"Who is that?" I asked.

"Bates," he sighed.

"You're not going to see what he wants?"

"If it's important, he'll text me. He only calls when he wants to talk my ear off."

I hummed, laying my head back down against him.

The room was silent for a few moments before the phone began to buzz again, causing Luca to let out a sigh of frustration.

"Answer it," I told him, seeing that it was Bates calling again.

He shook his head stubbornly and I reached across him to grab the phone myself.

"Hi Bates," I answered, putting the phone up to my ear.

"Hello Carol," he said. "How has your morning been?"

I laughed nervously.

"Good, yours?"

"Peachy. Can I talk to Luca?"

I handed Luca the phone, who took it from me begrudgingly.

"What?"

I heard Bates's muffled mumbling on the other line as Luca rolled his eyes in reaction to whatever Bates was saying.

"I changed the code," Luca said defensively. "Everyone got a little too comfortable coming over unannounced."

His eyebrows furrowed as Bates continued.

"What do you mean you've been sitting outside for twenty minutes?" He asked, sitting up in the bed.

I sat up with him, pulling the blanket up to cover myself.

Luca groaned.

"Can it wait?"

He paused as he listened to Bates respond.

"Fine, give me two minutes to change."

I couldn't help but frown as he got out of the bed.

Luca let out a long sigh as he turned back to look at me.

"I'm sorry," he said sincerely. "I'm going to deal with this and I'll be back, okay?"

I nodded.

"Everything alright?" I asked.

"Of course," he replied, winking.