Chapter Thirty-One - Tell 'Em it's a Birthday Party

Although Luca suffered several heart attacks in the passenger seat on the way there, the McLaren and I both made it to the store in one piece.

He made me park in the very back of the parking lot, where no one else was parked.

"It's a bit ridiculous to walk this far," I told him, walking through the parking lot. "I'm in heels."

"Cushion protection," he explained.

When we walked inside, we made our way over to where the party supplies were and we found the plates and napkins with relative ease.

"I'm going to get a case of beer," he told me. "I'm sure Mom didn't get any."

"For an eighteenth birthday party? Probably not," I said sarcastically.

I followed him over to the aisle where the alcohol was stocked, standing behind him as he looked over his options.

I turned to see a group of college-aged girls standing by the spiked seltzer, staring at Luca. They were giggling, holding their hands over their mouths as they gawked. I rolled my eyes.

You don't see me standing right here? I thought.

"Damn," Luca said, huffing. "They don't have any Stella."

He looked back at me when I neglected to respond and I immediately looked away from the group of girls.

"Do you have a preference?" He asked me.

I shook my head.

"I'm not really a fan of beer," I admitted.

He hummed, walking down the aisle further.

"Found some," he said, in a sing-song tone as he picked up the white and red carrier of beer that was hidden behind another.

Luca turned to me, eyeing me cautiously.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing," I answered quickly.

A knowing smile grew on his face as he leaned in, lowering his voice.

"Don't worry," he told me. "I'm not interested in anyone who drinks White Claw. I like my woman to drink the real stuff."

He reached around and smacked my butt.

"Stop doing that," I laughed, swatting his hand away.

He laughed as he took my hand in his and pulled me out of the aisle to walk to check out. Much to my chagrin, the girls followed us.

I tried to ignore them, as Luca did.

They came to stand right next to our checkout kiosk, where Luca was scanning items and placing them into the shopping bags. They began to scan their items, elbowing each other as they nodded in our direction.

I could tell Luca was trying not to laugh, but I bit the inside of my cheek.

Who eye-fucks someone in front of their girlfriend?

I was basically pushing Luca out of the grocery store as soon as he had paid.

"I'd say you're a little possessive," he said once we were outside, laughing.

"I am not," I defended, feeling my cheeks heat up.

He just laughed, taking my hand in his as we walked back across the parking lot to his car. I took the beer and bag containing the plates and napkins from Luca and bent down to put them into the floor of the passenger seat.