Chapter Nine - Picking Fights on Pizza Night

I stared at the half-finished canvas in front of me; trying—as I had been for the past two hours—to gather the motivation to paint.

I had nothing else to do and Luca had disappeared into his office above the garage.

I fought the urge to slap the paint on my brush in a large 'X' across the canvas and trash it. All I had done for the past few hours had been stare at the imperfections and flaws that I saw and it infuriated me.

Would I be able to finish the painting in a month? If I was, who knew if I would even see my parents on their anniversary... When would I give them the painting?

I couldn't imagine just mailing them something that had taken me months to finish. All of my work up to that point felt useless.

Taking a deep breath, I stood up from the floor and stretched my legs out.

As I was walking downstairs to make myself a late lunch, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out to see Mady's name and photo flashing across the screen.

I eagerly answered the call.

"Bitch, you are not going to believe what I'm about to tell you," I said as soon as I answered.

"Oh, let me guess," she laughed.

I stopped on the staircase.

"Wait, you know about Luca?"

"The whole town knows about you and Luca," she mumbled through the phone.

"Why? Did my dad say something?"

"Your dad flipped his shit," Mady answered honestly. "He came over at the crack-ass of dawn a few days ago and met with my dad for over three hours. I could hear them yelling at each other in the garage."

"They were arguing about Luca and I?" I asked, continuing down the stairs.

"More so about Luca," she answered. "Neither of them were happy he was on our pack land. Obviously they weren't happy you had gone with him either."

I sighed as I sat down at the kitchen countertop.

"Do you know what they're going to do?" I asked.

"I don't think there's much they can do. Luca Ronan isn't exactly known for his respecting the pack codes and ordinances."

"You can say that again," I mumbled.

"Don't worry about things here," she said, trying to cheer me up. "Tell me how things are there... Tell me about Luca. What is he like?"

I took a deep breath, wondering where to start.

"I'll admit it hasn't been as terrible as I thought it would be," I said slowly. "Luca is certainly not what I expected after hearing my dad talk about him in Vegas."

"Is he scary?"

"A little intimidating," I said honestly. "But I'm not frightened by him."

"What does he look like?"

I laughed hearing her question.