XXVII. New Blood of Heirs

Zilyana woke to a harem in chaos. At least, that's what it looked like to the Sídhe. When the door to her chambers opened for a servant to come inside, Zilyana caught a glimpse of what was going on outside. Palace slaves and servants were running back and forth, low ranked concubines flailed around like chickens with their heads cut off, people were shouting all at once.

'What is going on?' Zilyana thought as the servant girl bowed before her. "What is it?"

"The Imperial Matron commands you come and break your fast in her chambers," the Girl said. "She also has a special announcement that she will share with everyone."

Zilyana arched an eyebrow. Her mouth opened, ready to refuse, but the words of Fiyona filled her head. She at least could try and appear 'civilized', if that was what these humans believed themselves to be.

With a sigh, Zilyana nodded and called for Fiyona to help her dress.

'I'll even wear something more...conservative if that will make them leave me alone.'

After a thorough look through her closet, Zilyana found a floor-length dress made of soft-pink silk. It had long sleeves, yet was also open shoulder, and had a small opening in the front that showed the swell of her breasts but that was it. Grumbling in her mother tongue, Zilyana held still as Fiyona tied the strings in the back, and then braided her hair in a simple crown around her head.

'I feel...so weird,' Zilyana thought as she and Fiyona walked to Marleina's chambers. 'Like I'm some doll for them to toy with, to dress up how they like it.'

When she reached Marleina's chambers, the Sídhe curtsied as was required, before taking note of everyone there.

It was the standard members of the royal family and other noblewomen, but...something was off. For starters, Chrysha looked pale, well, paler than she normally was. There were shadows under the Consort's eyes as if she hadn't slept, and there was a tightness in her body language that worried Zilyana.

Evelyne and Marleina looked happy, but none looked happier than Breannei. Her face was glowing, her eyes were shining, and most of all she was sitting in what was normally Tarla's spot. Tarla had moved a seat down, where Zilyana normally sat, yet she looked neutral at the moment.

The only remaining seat was at the end of the dais, where a small table and chair had been placed. Zilyana figured this was where she was supposed to be. Against her greater judgment, which was yelling for her to leave, Zilyana walked to the small chair and sat down.

Once she sat down, Evelyne immediately shot to her feet, clapping her hands for attention.

"Thank you all for answering the call to break our fast on this glorious and blessed day," Evelyne said grandly. "Last night, Consort Breannei shared wonderful news to my grandson, and today, I shall share it with you. Breannei is carrying the emperor's child! Another mooselion cub shall roam these halls!"

Zilyana's heart froze in her chest.

The Sídhe felt as if all air had been sucked from her chest. Panting heavily, her golden eyes swept the room, not realizing that all eyes were either on a beaming Breannei or upon her.

"My Lady," Fiyona whispered. "You're being watched."

Zilyana didn't care. All she saw was red, her hands felt clammy, her blood moved like ice in her veins.

'I have to get out of here,' Zilyana thought. 'I have to get out of here!'

Without waiting to be dismissed, Zilyana shot to her feet. The Sídhe Princess practically ran from the dais, but only made it halfway out of the room before Breannei's voice rang out.