XIII. Duel of Fates

"Your Majesty... Your Majesty, wake up."

Maximilian awoke with a snort at the sound of his servent's voice; at his side, Breannei was still sleeping, exhausted from their night.

The young emperor looked down at his lover, at her silky light-brown waves that cascaded down her back. Maximilian's cheeks began to burn when he found himself disappointed that it was Breannei in his bed,... and not another.

'I wonder if she felt it," Maximilian wondered. 'That I pictured another in her place... That I pictured another holding me, crying out, desiring the internal warmth of another.'

"What is it?" Maximilian sighed, making sure to whisper as not to wake Breannei. "What's the matter."

His servant nervously looked around. "I... erm... the dueling arena... is um... You best some and see for yourself."

Frowning, Maximilian carefully pushed back the blankets and rose from the bed. Grabbing his cotton trousers, Maximilian pulled them on, followed by a loose shirt, and then belted both at the waist. He glanced down once again at Breannei yet couldn't bring himself to kiss her, as he used to every morning.

'It's like every part of me is being consumed by Her... By my desire to for Her...'

Maximilian shook the thoughts from his mind and followed the servant to the dueling arena, where he came to practice with his sword and shield. Like all noble boys, Maximilian was trained in the art of combat, to master the sword and shield and the bow and arrow if need be. He was also drilled in hand to hand combat, yet taught how to fight honorably, not dirty like those of the low born.

Sometimes guards came here to practice their drills, to members of the Sentinals would do the same. But today, Maximilian was confused.

A crowd of servants and nobles visiting the palace were gathered in the viewing room and around the arena's gates. Small sparks were flying in the air, and a glowing littered the ground.

'What the hell?'

"Attention!" the servant called out. "Attention, His Imperial Majesty approaches!"

Everyone turned around and bowed respectfully, their eyes lowered to the ground as they hurried to get out of the way. As the crowd parted, Maximilian could finally see what was going on.

'Of course, Zilyana.'

The young Sídhe stood in the middle of the training arena; the light was coming from her. Her back was to Maximilian, but it was her bare back,... a sight that made blood rush into his cheeks.

'What is she wearing... or lack thereof?'

From what Maximilian could tell, the Sídhe was wearing clothing, but he couldn't see clearly from his distance. It suddenly occurred to him that other people were watching her... other men.

"Everyone leaves," Maximilian barked. "Now."

"You heard His Majesty!" A guard shouted. "All of you leave!"

The people-watching all grumbled in frustration and anger but knew better than to question their emperor. Slowly, the crowd dissipated, until only Maximilian, the Sídhe, and his guards remained.

The young man took a deep breath and nodded for his guard to open the arena's gates before walking inside. At the sound of his boots against the gravel, Zilyana turned around, thus allowing Maximilian to see what she was wearing fully.

She was practically naked.

At least, in the eyes of the Paefon Empire, she was. The lightest that women would wear were sleeveless, loose muslin gowns in the hot summers, but those gowns still fell to the floor. The clothing that Zilyana was wearing was... Maximilian wasn't even sure he could call it clothing.