XXVIII. A Woman's Weapons

A red-eyed Breannei sat next to Evelyne as their morning meal was brought.

The Imperial Consort should be over the moon, her face glowing with the inner light of pregnancy.

But instead, Breannei's eyes were swollen and red, her face pale, and her cheeks stained with tears.

"By the Five, did you not wash your face when you woke this morning?" Evelyne snapped.

"I woke in a cold bed, while the love of my life was with another woman," Breannei sniffed.

Evelyne turned to where Zilyana sat, the Princess smiling and laughing as she spoke with Tarla. The Grandmatron's eyes fell upon the white-gold and ruby ring on Zilyana's right hand, a treasure of limitless value.

'My grandson is so much like his father...the love of creating jewelry is a rare skill that few can boast. But to give such a thing to a Sídhe?'

"The Emperor can do what he wants, Breannei," Evelyne chastised her. "Besides, it's beneath you to worry about such things. You are the one carrying the Emperor's child. Not her. You need to be rosy-cheeked and happy for the health of your unborn."

"But..."

Evelyne raised her hand. "I will not say it again. You are the mother of a Prince. It's time you stop acting so childish and grow up."

Breannei jerked her head away, her hands clenched around her bowl of morning broth. It had everything that her child would need in nourishment, yet she could not bring herself to eat.

'He left me...left us, to spend the night with the Savage! Then, he gave her that gift. Has he forgotten me so quickly and easily? As if we had not shared a shame pillow. As if I had not given him a son.'

Breannei snuck a look at Zilyana, who acted as if she was one of the Imperial Family.

'I suppose my only true comfort is that creature cannot become with child. But the threat to Jardan is still here...'

Jardan and Daris giggled as they played another game of tag, once again innocent and without worry. If only the two boys knew that in reality, they were rivals.

At her table, Tarla held Zilyana's hand, looking at her ring.

"It's beautiful, Zilyana," Tarla sighed. "I remember when my brother made small gifts for my mother and me. You say he made you a bracelet as well?"

"And a necklace and earrings," Zilyana said. "But I doubt I'd wear them all, all the time. If anything, the ring is the easiest thing to wear, and the other items for special occasions."

A servant girl brought a plate of smoked sausages wrapped in fluffy dough. She went down the line of tables, giving each woman a piece, but when she stopped in front of Zilyana, the Sídhe covered her nose.

"Ugh...the smell of grease is overpowering," she complained. "No thank you, I won't have any today."

The Servant girl bowed and went to a noblewoman nearby, giving her Zilyana's food.

Tarla watched this out of the corner of her eye yet said nothing.

After their morning fast was broken, Breannei called her handmaiden and son, for the two could go for a walk.

"Did you see that ring?" Breannei whispered to Aobrey, the two walking in the gardens. "On the ring of the Sídhe?"

"How could I not, Your Highness," Aobrey said. "It's quite beautiful."

"It was supposed to be mine," Breannei snapped.

Aobrey frowned. "What do you mean?"

"The Emperor makes jewelry for the important women in his life. How dare that Savage believes herself worthy to be among that number?" Breannei seethed. "You will get it for me."